Sign in to follow this  

Xr 400 head temperature

Hey all, I was curious enough today to ask what is the normal head temperature for a 96 400r? I'm putting a vapor trailtech device on my bike, and I wanted to know what the average head temperature is, just to make sure I'm not running to hot.

I'm not sure what's normal but mine runs between 140 and 170 degrees.

If I recall it's actually a oil line readout also, not the cylinder head. 

I didn't like the idea of putting it under the plug so I put it in front of the plug under a head bolt.

How did you wire up your tachometer still having issues with mine.

I didn't like the idea of putting it under the plug so I put it in front of the plug under a head bolt.

I used the head bolt

Too. I converted to DC to avoid tach issues. The only way I could avoid the tach issue while I was AC was to disconnect the power and run on internal battery

Please excuse grammatical errors. Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

I wrapped the wire around my spark plug cap wires about 5 times and it says I'm idling at around 4000 rpms, which is completely wrong.... Although it does idle a little high it's still wayyyyyyy off.. and I'm actually thinking of converting my bike to dc instead of ac ( just to run hid lights)

I used the head bolt

Too. I converted to DC to avoid tach issues. The only way I could avoid the tach issue while I was AC was to disconnect the power and run on internal battery

Please excuse grammatical errors. Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

how does converting to dc help? I wanna convert my bike to dc but I don't have the money. What's your setup? What did you get to run dc? I'm trying to get some ideas

I'm running DC aswell running trx wiring loom as I have electric start fitted. But still get around 4000 plus rpm but it's a stable. One day I'll get around to trying different things. I had tried straight into the coil +ve. I have been told to try the earth but can't see that working but will try one day.

What you need are Earth Handles as promoted by Art Bell while being channeled by Phil Hendrie.

To convert your bike to DC you need a battery and a voltage rectifier. DC provides constant energy. Ac switches back and forth. This causes your device to flicker on and off at low rpms.

I wrapped the wire around my spark plug cap wires about 5 times and it says I'm idling at around 4000 rpms, which is completely wrong.... Although it does idle a little high it's still wayyyyyyy off.. and I'm actually thinking of converting my bike to dc instead of ac ( just to run hid lights)

These things count the number of sparks per given time. XR's throw spark every engine revolution thus you might get twice higher RPM reading. Most four stroke engines throw spark once every two revolutions.

Edited by messat