Sign in to follow this  

Stalling at highway speed

Hello all, been reading about stalling issues but yesterday my 2013CRF250L locked up the rear wheel at a steady 45MPH on the way home.

I never had any stalls until I did a couple of Mods:

Yoshimura full exhaust

Unifilter foam 2 stage air filter

6 one inch holes in the air box cover with unifilter foam vent inserts

trimmed the snorkel to about 1 inch deep in the box.

It stalled 3 or 4 times when coming to a stop and downshifting, so I adjusted that screw/allen throttle air thing about a quarter turn in.

It stopped stalling at slow speeds, but yesterday killed and locked up on the highway.

Any advice on what to check or how to fix would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Did it skid to a stop ?  

I would think the engine would have to lock up to cause a skid ....  :excuseme:  

• Like 2

I don't see an EJK in your list but I do see the airbox mods and a pipe. If you didn't do the EJK you could be sucking to much air and not enough fuel especially under a load.

• Like 4

Did it skid to a stop ?  

I would think the engine would have to lock up to cause a skid ....  :excuseme:  

The engine stalling won't lock up the rear tire normally.  If the engine stalled it would feel like you hit the kill switch.  The rear wheel won't lock up and slide unless the road surface is very slick.  If the engine seized for some reason the rear tire will lock up until you pull the clutch in. 

You said it killed on the highway, did it restart or is it still locked up? 

More details would help us help you. 

I don't see an EJK in your list but I do see the airbox mods and a pipe. If you didn't do the EJK you could be sucking to much air and not enough fuel especially under a load.

I would also be interested in knowing if you have an EJK installed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

No EJK installed.

Yes it skidded to a stop.

It skidded to a stop when it stalled at slow speeds previously also.

I did smell a burning type smell right before it happened and when I stopped I couldn't get it to shift up or down when I was trying to put it in neutral.

Waited just a few minutes then was able to shift to neutral and road it home.

Today I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, adjusted that screw back to factory, took it for a ride.

Couple of times seemed to run weak, but mostley strong. After about 20 minutes of riding various speeds, traveling about 40mph i smelled that smell and pulled over.

Had trouble shifting for a few minutes, then ok. Rode home with no problems???

Hope this helps, will keep updating

• Like 1

It sounds like it might have suffered a lean seizure and caused some engine damage. 

Um...  Maybe replace the air box cover so it's stock, get a new snorkel(from a different source then your dealer), put a stock air filter in, top off the oil if its low, and put the stock exhaust on.

Adjusting the screw doesn't hurt anything.  Make the paint look good on it.  Rub some dirt on the disturbed areas too.

Then take it to the dealer for warranty work....  :devil:

Otherwise order a 305 kit and get a EJK...

Not having a EJK with your modifications will cause engine damage from the lean fuel mixture.  They run slightly lean when they are stock to begin with...    :prof:

• Like 3

Yup, I have to agree. Full exhaust plus air box mods and no EJK means it's probably running really lean which also means really hot. Hondas make some tough motors though, so you may get lucky with fresh oil (yours is burnt now) and either ordering an EJK or returning to stock until you can get an EJK.

• Like 1

Yup, I have to agree. Full exhaust plus air box mods and no EJK means it's probably running really lean which also means really hot. Hondas make some tough motors though, so you may get lucky with fresh oil (yours is burnt now) and either ordering an EJK or returning to stock until you can get an EJK.

I'd almost bet the piston and cylinder walls have damage from it locked up unfortunately.

• Like 1

If your locking the wheel up on pavement going 45 its doing more than just stalling, sounds like the motor is actually seizing up like the other guys are saying.  Its just a miracle that after it cools down it frees up again and keeps going, thank honda for building a beast of a motor that can handle seizing up and then keep going again, I dont think many engines can do that.  If it smells like something is burning thats a good hint things are not right.   You cant do all these exhaust and intake mods and not add any fuel, the bike is already lean to begin with.

Wheres the oil in the sight window, is it low?  Does it look burnt?

You should either put the bike back to near stock or get an EJK before you ride it anymore.  Sounds like your just lucky you havnt melted the piston or any valves yet.  Atleast put the stock filter back in and cover up the holes you added in the air box, your getting to much air and not enough fuel and running lean.  If you want to keep all the mods you have to get an EJK.

If you wana know what it feels like to truely stall going 45 down the road, flip the kill switch, leave it in gear and dont touch the clutch, the bike will just coast to a stop, nothing dramatic, no wheel lock up.  Theres something much worse than just a stall going on with yours.

Change your oil and then start paying close attention to it in the sight window, figure out a way to keep the bike in the same position everytime you check your oil so you know your getting good readings, like if you have a bike stand you can put the bike on everytime to hold it upright, that would work good.  If you notice you start losing/burning a lot of oil, then your cylinder is scored from being seized up.  Also see if you have any oil collecting in the clear tube in the bottom of your air box, that would show your having a lot of blow by, which would also mean bad cylinder/rings.  This may be a good excuse to get a big bore kit hahaha!  Just make sure you get an EJK this time around....

• Like 5

I did change the oil last weekend. I put Honda GN4 10w40 and a new filter.

The level is good but the oil looks very dark for being a week old.

Think I should change the oil again and install a programmer?

or does it need immediate service regardless?

By the way the bike has 8060 miles on it, I bought it 2 months ago used, no warranty that I know of.

It ran perfectly till I a while after I did the mods

I did change the oil last weekend. I put Honda GN4 10w40 and a new filter.

The level is good but the oil looks very dark for being a week old.

Think I should change the oil again and install a programmer?

or does it need immediate service regardless?

The oil is dark because it of the high heat it experienced.  If it actually locked up what happened was the piston expands too much due to heat caused by the lean mixture.  This causes the engine to seize up since the piston clearance disappears.  Odds are the bore is either scored or has aluminum from the piston stuck to it. 

Since it's yours outright this is what I would do.  Pull the plug and check its color, it could even have some silver aluminum on it.  Then do a dry and wet compression test.  This should give you a good if there is engine damage.

It sounds like it's time for the big bore kit and the matching EJK to me.  :thinking:

• Like 2

Thinking big bore and EJK, any advice on where to get it?

Is this something I can do at home with basic tools?

Thinking big bore and EJK, any advice on where to get it?

Is this something I can do at home with basic tools?

No disrespect intended here but ... if you have to ask that question do as I did and have it installed.

• Like 3

This is my first bike, but I had a 1997 Jeep that I  replaced nearly everything on it over about 3 years.

Somewhat mechanically inclined and have a coupe of friends who are mechanics.

Always either upgrading or fixing something!

Asking to get an idea if it is one of those projects worth doing myself or better off getting a professional to do