Sign in to follow this  

When the bike is off and in gear

Hey guys I was wondering if this is Normal... On my old bike when the bike was off and in gear it wouldn't move (which I know is normal) but when I held the clutch in it moved. On my new bike even when I hold the clutch in when the bike is off and in gear it won't move, this makes it impossible to bump start... Is this normal

Thanks guys

Hey guys I was wondering if this is Normal... On my old bike when the bike was off and in gear it wouldn't move (which I know is normal) but when I held the clutch in it moved. On my new bike even when I hold the clutch in when the bike is off and in gear it won't move, this makes it impossible to bump start... Is this normal

Thanks guys

Im sure people are going to want to know what kind of bike you own before they can give advice. Not normal me thinks....

I know that every car, bike, quad I've had, you could push with the clutch disengaged.

Edited by Anthras

something isnt allowing it to disengage, if i have to put money on it your basket/hub it notched, next likely scenario is maybe the clutch plate is warped or it sitting all winter squeezed the oil out of the friction plates, none of those fixes are particularly difficult

• Like 1

A lot of bikes have a lot of drag when in gear. Perfectly normal.

Bump start is best done in neutral. Get the bike moving, pull in the clutch, pop it into 2nd and release the clutch.

• Like 2

something isnt allowing it to disengage, if i have to put money on it your basket/hub it notched, next likely scenario is maybe the clutch plate is warped or it sitting all winter squeezed the oil out of the friction plates, none of those fixes are particularly difficult

This. There are probably notches on the basket where the plates smack against it. Its usually not a huge deal but if you start breaking clutch plates or anything you might wanna get it fixed. You could either buy a new basket or take a wide file and carefully file away the notches 

How would I fix the backet/hub

^ What he said.  I had the same issue with my cr before I replaced the clutch basket. 

When I ride it the clutch works fine

then its maybe a little drag, or the basket notched, it still allows the clutch to work, just not as well, theres a lot of theories thrown in the mix in this thread, and any one of them could be right, what you need to do as the bike owner is go over the bike and find which issue it is yourself, then we can a address how we would go about fixing it, first thing i would do is make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, i keep mine so that the amount of play between the perch and the lever will fit about a nickel, like this

nickel of play.jpg

• Like 1

then its maybe a little drag, or the basket notched, it still allows the clutch to work, just not as well, theres a lot of theories thrown in the mix in this thread, and any one of them could be right, what you need to do as the bike owner is go over the bike and find which issue it is yourself, then we can a address how we would go about fixing it, first thing i would do is make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly, i keep mine so that the amount of play between the perch and the lever will fit about a nickel, like this

attachicon.gifnickel of play.jpg

Just checked it, it could fit a nickel

could it fit more than that? because if it has too much play it might not be fully disengaging, I.E. causing your disengagement issues

could it fit more than that? because if it has too much play it might not be fully disengaging, I.E. causing your disengagement issues

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395348025.911963.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395348046.361500.jpg

It seems to fit it pretty snug

Do you think it will ruin my bike if I keep it like this, because I can live without it moving in gear?