Sign in to follow this  

KYB AOS vs SSS vs SFF

So I'm looking for a different fork, OEM as I'm on a budget and I think it's suits me just fine.

I hear good reviews about Yamaha KYB SSS, but quite like the KYB AOS of the Kawas with there DLC and Kashima coatings.

Are the Kawa KYB AOS the same fork as Yamaha KYB SSS (looks so from the outside)?

Also interested in the Kawa Showa SFF fork gen2 (maybe gen1) (not air!).

So what fork has the most potential, will be revalved to suit my needs.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Kawa AOS.

Also in search for clamp diameter of the forks.

Showa definitely built better....kyb break ics piston...coating wears off the rod fast.....still most will tell ya they feel better.

No experience with the sff....yet....but have a set on the way.

The SFF is a totally bitchn concept.

but shooting the breeze with jeremy wilkey at mx tech, and dave j at spi they said there not all that great, not bad, but not great

(i wanted to put them on my bike to save a few lbs on the front they said like less than a pound!!!)

sss vs aos

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/707438-kyb-aos-vs-sss/

if you go aos like my 09 crf450, you need to drill the free pistons or better yet put aluminum suspension direct free pistons, my plastic ones fell apart.

Just for the record, the AOS and SSS are the same stuff. Minor differences such as rod lengths and outer tube taper, maybe a difference in the depth of bottoming cones. Otherwise they are the same.

On a related note; about a month ago I revalved a 2013 Husky, with their version of the KYB. No fancy name. Now while I didn't compare the above mentioned differences, it was valved EXACTLY like a 2007 YZ450.

Also what bike do you have now that you want to do this too?

what i have heard someone say.

is that if you put those sss forks from the magic year on a honda its still not as plush as the yamaha.

that year of bike was just a special for feel.

now i report this being a non yamaha guy.

There is truth to that. Frame geomitry also plays a big part in how the forks feel.

And frame clamp and fork stiffness , a lot of feel is down to that