Sign in to follow this  

yz125 shifting problem

I got a new shift lever because my old one stripped and haven't tried the shifting out yet on the new rebuild. I did today and am pretty worried, the bike shifts into 1st fine but after shifting up as in 2nd it doesn't engage, when I shift up again to 3rd it just sounds like a gear or something is stuck because it clicks when the rear tire spins. shift up and same things as 2nd, it doesn't do any thing. sometime the shift lever will get stuck in an upright position, really weird. I took the side case off but cant find any issues, am I going to have to split the cases to see the tranny?

My yz125 had a problem like this. It would go into first just fine but would not go up into 2nd or any other gear. The hatt on the end of the shift shaft come off then got jammed into my shift drum. Had to split the case

My yz125 had a problem like this. It would go into first just fine but would not go up into 2nd or any other gear. The hatt on the end of the shift shaft come off then got jammed into my shift drum. Had to split the case

What did you do to fix it?

I ended up splitting the cases tonight, the dogs looks great, I can't tell if the forks are bent but the shaft roll straight without wiggling. the drum doesn't have any jams or anything. do you guys know how wide the forks are supposed to be? What else could the problem be besides the forks? I got some pictures uploading.

From what I could see, the forks look fine. As for the gears, I think I can see one with some wear, but it's hard to tell from the angle provided. More pics are needed, with the shafts disassembled.

From what I could see, the forks look fine. As for the gears, I think I can see one with some wear, but it's hard to tell from the angle provided. More pics are needed, with the shafts disassembled.

I don't want to take the gears apart, I don't think I could put them back together.

I can just barely see some evidence on one of the dogs that looks like it might be slipping. Like I said, I can barely see it, so it just might be the photo angle. As for taking them apart, if you don't want to, then don't! But if you kept them in the same exact order, they would go right back together. Now, if you drop them, well then......................................................... :cry:

And if t was a bent fork how could it bend since it worked fine before I took it apart to replace the crank? Unless it would actual bend by just being handled outside of the engine? What picture looks like it might be a bad dog. Ill take a look at it.

post-371173-0-88724500-1395372675_thumb.jpg

At the very top of this photo, just barely in the pic, I think I see some evidence of the dogs slipping.

As for the fork being bent, it can happen outside of the cases just by dropping it. Or setting something on it.

So you put the new shift fork in check that the springs and balls that sit on the "tuning fork end" are in correctly the big pin that the fork sits on has a silver ring that the pawls sit in and move most have a dot drilled on it make sure this is indexed correctly onto the sift drum pin I believe the problem is in this area