Sign in to follow this  

125 or a 250

Hi, i dont know if i should get a 125 2 stroke or a 250 2 stroke. Im 18yrs, about 5' 10" and weigh about 185, and a beginner, so any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi, i dont know if i should get a 125 2 stroke or a 250 2 stroke. Im 18yrs, about 5' 10" and weigh about 185, and a beginner, so any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

89 cr500 ftw
  • Like 1

go for the 125, plenty of power for a beginner.. and lightweight, I remember rushing to get my first 250 2T... nearly ripped my arms out of my sockets when I got on the gas haha... scary fast.

125 (Y)

• Like 1

250f for sure, a 250 will buck you off in a heart beat considering your a beginner and a 125 won't lug you around as good, a 250f would be perfect

~ride or die~

I suggest a 125. I recently made the switch from a kx125 to a kx250. While I had some experience on my friends cr250 beforehand, I'm still glad that I rode the 125 for a while first. It taught me how to ride fast and smooth, and it helps you with clutch work as it performs better in the mid to top end.

A 125 is much more forgiving, as well. On a 250, grabbing too much throttle has serious consequences.

Thanks for the replys, i was thinking of looking for a yz125 or a kx125, are there any years i should stay away from? I've heard that the yz125 is a good all round bike but what about other models like the kx125.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys, i was thinking of looking for a yz125 or a kx125, are there any years i should stay away from? I've heard that the yz125 is a good all round bike but what about other models like the kx125.

I had a 2000 kx125 and loved it. It handled great and could haul ass if you knew how to ride it. That's the great thing about 125's, to ride fast you have to learn how to stay smooth and keep your momentum up as the power is in the mid/top. It teaches you great clutch work and how to find good smooth lines that allow you to keep your speed up. I haven't ridden another kx125, but I've heard the 03+ had some all around improvents. They're cheaper than 250's as well. I paid $850 cash for my 125. All it needed was a good carburetor cleaning, and a spark plug. I also had boyesen reeds, twin-air air filter, and a pro circuit r-304 shorty on it... Those helped give it some more bottom end.

A 125 has plenty of power for a beginner...

Edited by Austesus
  • Like 1

Thanks i'll definitely be looking for a 125 i was also thinking about a suzuki rm, is there any years to stay away from?

I believe you're making a wise decision with the 125. And I have no experience with Suzuki's, hopefully someone that does will see this and be able to give you some feedback.

A 125 can be ridden by just about anyone.  The power difference would be pointless for a beginner.  The only real feasible difference would be that a 125 needs top end rebuilds more frequently. 2 stroke rebuilds are cheap though.  125 would definitely be my choice.

• Like 1

A 125 can be ridden by just about anyone. The power difference would be pointless for a beginner. The only real feasible difference would be that a 125 needs top end rebuilds more frequently. 2 stroke rebuilds are cheap though. 125 would definitely be my choice.

Compared to modern race 4 strokes, no that's not very true anymore. As long as you keep mixing gas those things can go a long time.

• Like 1