Ryno lining frame?

So me and a buddy were discussing grip tape on the frame and he's wanting to rynoline his frame around where his boots would touch it. Anyone ever try this? Does it look alright/turn out ok?

I just can't see any benefit besides maybe look...

I'd like to know the answer to this. I'm wondering if it would stick if scuffed up or something. The lining gets really hard after it's dried, so it'd hole up pretty well, but I wonder if it'd stick.

hmm, I tell you what, the Rino lining that was installed on my pickup bed is thick and that stuff is on there good, cant scrape it off. but that stuff isn't the crap u get at napa, maybe you could make a deal with a local rino lining dealer to install some on your frame. now you have my mind is racing lol

Sounds like a cool idea

I'll look into it! My uncle bedlined his entire truck and it turned out awesome! It'll never rust, and it has a nice texture.

I'll ask him in a couple minutes if it'd stick to aluminum.

I can think of lots of reason why I wouldn't do it but not many reasons why I would.

I wouldn't do it because it is expensive.  If your doing it yourself you could save some money but it might look like crap.  If you pay someone I doubt they would touch it for less than $300.

I wouldn't do it because it adds weight.  Probably not much but I bet a frame would use a gallon so that could add 5-10lbs.

I wouldn't do it because rhino liner is thick.  Its going to add 1/8" to 1/4".  Some parts on the bike already fit tight so not really wanting to deal with that.  You would have to cork up all the holes for your hardware.

One other thing.  What type of frame?  If aluminum then definitely not. 

Edited by DirtSmoker250

More or less just saying to do it around the sides of the frame where your boots rub. Not the hole frame. Idk, I agree. It might look cool, but at what cost and what benefit...

I know they make frame guards that cover that part and I've also heard of people using grip tape (for skateboard decks) but not sure about just slapping some rhino liner only on that part of the frame.  Like I said earlier I wouldn't do it but if I did I would do the whole frame not just one little section. 

I guess it depends on your buddy.  Tell him to try it out and then let us know his results. 

On a side note I've seen some trucks rhino lined that had a rough finish.  After a while that might mess your boots up.  I would look for a smooth finish if he does do it (I know there are several different types of rhino liner).

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Oops. Got carried away with Snocross and didn't ask him. I'll get him tomorrow.

The finish is rough, but I'd imagine you can sand it out smoother. The texture is rough, like 20 grit sandpaper. It would probably trash your boots if left rough.

I was thinking about it and there is a nice lumpy textured kind. I was thinking of the design possibilities. Red on top, separated by a slanted black stripe, and yellow on the bottom. I'd only be concerned with it cracking or falling off after a while of the small amount of flex, but probably not.

What about fiberglass and epoxy? Wrap it around, cut it straight and mold it to it? Might not ever come off, but it would look cool.

No one else has ever did this to a bike? My buddy did his 08 yz250 frame, not sure how it held up as he sold it before he rode with it on there. He Ryno lined, clear coat, Ryno lined, clear coated.

As a Rhino Linings dealer and applicator I can answer a few questions.  We have about a dozen products for different applications.  There are a range of hardnesses and  performance characteristics.  Most any color can be achieved, although with such a small job, black would be the easiest.  I've done plenty of coatings on aluminum and as long as you can get a bond it would work very well.  The best way would probably be to use the frame as a mold and make removeable guards like the way KTM does it.  I'll be testing that soon.  I made a skidplate for my 250 SX and it shows no sign of wear after a season of riding and racing. 

Jason

Only thing i would question , is how rough and how thick is Rhino Lining  ? , i tried that grip tape you put on fender rails for boat trailers  which is like #40 grit sandpaper , i even scuffed it down so it was a lot smoother than it originally was  , it ended up wearing a hole in the sides of my boots in about 5 rides , so i am back to straight frame  , also in those 5 rides , i ended up wearing a hole in the tape which is quite thick and i never would have thought it would wear out that fast

One of the nice things about well engineered MX bikes: everything comes apart nice and easy, you can inspect a bare frame, remove a frame guard.. Just some thoughts.

I know your talking a small section.. Still though.

Edited by mustards12s

Buy guards line those?

Only thing i would question , is how rough and how thick is Rhino Lining  ? , i tried that grip tape you put on fender rails for boat trailers  which is like #40 grit sandpaper , i even scuffed it down so it was a lot smoother than it originally was  , it ended up wearing a hole in the sides of my boots in about 5 rides , so i am back to straight frame  , also in those 5 rides , i ended up wearing a hole in the tape which is quite thick and i never would have thought it would wear out that fast

You can get different textures and make it as thick as you want. Make it an inch if you want, although it probably isn't the best idea.

I had a bed liner coated wr200 a few years back and I can tell you it was a disaster. I had the frame media blasted and then the frame and plastics were coated by line-x. First I had a hell of a time getting the electrical to ground properly on the frame. I'm sure I spent hours sanding down the contact points.

my biggest complaint was that the stuff didn't last. After a few months of riding my boots had rubbed down to the steel frame. The plastics didn't fair much better as they were less flexible and the coating had a tendency to crack. I ended up spending a ton of time sandblasting the line-x off just so I could repaint the frame. My experience with powder coating was just as bad...

I think fresh paint and frame guards/grip tape is the best deal.

i think painting the spars of the frame only where your boots would touch would be a great idea.

but the stuff is heavy,

grip tape ate a pair of my boots/pants a.

btw doing a steel frame,

stupid,  is it going to help you hang on no, the flat spars on an alu frame yes actually.

doing an entire frame, really stupid and really heavy,

doing plastics? WTF!?!?!?!

I wouldn't put this stuff on a bike. If it's on the frame...you can't inspect it for damage. Paint the plastics with it...you damage coated plastic. It adds more unnecessary weight that trail armor already adds. I've seen it on a couple of bikes(varying degrees of coverage). On top of my 1st two reasons...It's ugly. It works awesome in the bed of my truck, and that's the only place I'll put it.

Try Herculiner DIY bed lining that you get at your auto parts store. I use it for a lot of different things.