08 yz450 only 4 gears?

Never owned a yz450 before.this is my 1st one. Anyway this thing is pretty nice. I bought it for 1700 bucks from a friend of a friend. Starts first kick every time. But when i bought it the guy told me it was a 4 speed. I took it for a ride and sure enough only 4 gears. Still works great though. But when i looked up the specs on an 08 it says they are five speeds. Was 4 speeds an option or what? Not sure why its only got 4 gears. I hope 5th gears not broken or something. But it doesnt act like there is another gear, it just stops shifting like thats all the gears there is. Sorry for the dumb question. But can somebody help me out.

Yeah it could be that too I bought an "03" yz 125 onetime and it turned out to be a 01 only difference on them was intakes are different. I tried to order a new one and it wouldn't fit so I ordered another and sane thing. Look at the frame the 4th two digits are your year. I solved my problem with that

Well then why would it only have 4 gears. If 5th gear was broken i would know it right. Would it still try to go in 5th gear but just not work? Cuz when i try to go to 5th it just wont. It acts like it only has 4 gears. Hell i dont know. Is it possible that some body put an 05 engine in a 08 frame or would it not fit?

Well you could order a transmission kit and put it in....

That's cute. What's the part number on that?

Is there a possibility the engine has a 4 speed transmission dropped in? Maybe something for the dessert for wider ratio riding?

The 4 speed from an '03-'05 YZ450 will not bolt into an '08, and the 4 speed isn't a wide ratio box. The first 3 gears are the same in the 4 and 5 speed YZ450's, and the ratio of the 4 spd 4th gear is in between that of the 4th and 5th on the 5 speed. 

What IS possible is to bolt in (more or less) the complete engine from an '03-'05, which is why I asked the question about the external oil line.

That's definitely a Gen2 engine, and should be a 5 speed. Sounds like exploratory surgery is in order.

well is it possible that someone made it a 4 speed? And how would i tell without splitting the cases. Im not good with bottom end work.if 5th gear was broken wouldnt it still try to shift into 5th. Cuz like i said after 4th it just feels like theres no more gears.

No it has the aluminum frame. And i looked on the frame for the number and the number is jyacj10c38a027446 so im not sure how to tell what year it is by that number

so the frame is definitely an '08. i looked that number up and confirmed it.  what's the likelihood somebody grenaded the motor and put an earlier year in?  that's what i'm leaning towards as an explanation.