Sign in to follow this  

New rider 2nd bike!

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the whole riding scene and thought this would be a good forum to join. I started riding about a month ago. I hadn't rode a dirtbike in 12+ years and the biggest I rode back then was an xr80, my buddy who has a crf450r got me back interested in riding and talked me into getting a 2003 yz450f which was ALOT of bike I rode it around and took it to the local track twice, I found a decent deal on a 2009 crf450r so I bought it and sold the yz450f. Took the Honda to the shop and had it freshened up. I got it back today and rode it, wow! This bike is awesome! I love it! I'm still new and learning my way around the track but slowly lol. Sorry for the long post! Anything I should know right off about this bike before I take it out to the track? Known problems? Thanks!

20140320_211201.jpg

I don't have an EFI bike but I have seen many threads talking about fuel pump issues due to a clogged fuel filter. Do a search and get the exact details. Or maybe this issue as already been addressed on your '09?

The single most important thing you should address first is the suspension. Get the suspension set up correctly for you and your riding type, style, ability, etc etc. Doing that first will be the best thing by far you can do to enhance your riding experience.

Make sure you have the correct tires for the terrain you will be riding.

And get a service manual. There are things that you will need to do, and should do yourself.

Lastly always use the search function at the top right. Most everything you will need or want to know has been covered already. If you can't find it, ask.

Have fun!! :thumbsup:

Edited by mrmoto35

Custom suspension maybe a little unnecessary for a beginner. Set the sag and ride as much as you can and have fun.

Thanks guys! I noticed when I took off the gas cap it had some kind of net/filter the gas has to pass through before it even goes into the tank, not sure if that's stock or aftermarket. As far as setting my suspension up how do I know what's right? The yz450f was stiff but I rode it fine I guess, this crf450r is alot softer but feels nice..

Thanks guys! I noticed when I took off the gas cap it had some kind of net/filter the gas has to pass through before it even goes into the tank, not sure if that's stock or aftermarket. As far as setting my suspension up how do I know what's right? The yz450f was stiff but I rode it fine I guess, this crf450r is alot softer but feels nice..

There are many factors that determine how your suspension is setup. Weight, height, type of riding, ability etc. You have not discussed details about your suspension but the stock fork and shock springs are for a smaller to average size man. If you are just a little bit smaller then King Kong you may want/need to look into springs as you will never get your race sag set right as you are too heavy for the stock springs. Maybe the springs currently on your bike are perfect? Do you still have communication with the person you bought the bike from? If so ask them if the springs are stock and then you will know what you have.

Just say the person you bought the bike from was a licensed pro MX racer who is 6'6" and weighs 240 lbs and they had the suspension dialed in for that rider profile. Now a guy like me buys that bike. I am 6' 180 lbs and hell n gone from being a pro MX'er. That suspension is going to absolutely suck for me. it will be so stiff that I would never have any fun.

You may not need much more then a few adjustments. That would be great. Maybe you plan on getting deep into this sport and the above scenario applies to you. If that's the case I would look at putting some money into getting it dialed in for YOU.

I would read as much as I could about suspension on these forums. Read threads and you will see the #1 thing to do to a new bike is get the suspension set up correctly.  Even if you do need a Pro's help. And you don't need someone trying to sell you $1000 and up suspension. You may not need anything more then a friends help in setting your sag. If you have tools and can wrench you can do almost everything yourself.

If someone tells me how to do it I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Yea I'm still in touch with the previous owner but I'm 99% sure it's a stock suspension. My question is though how do I know what's a good setup? I'm 6ft 195lb.. The bike feels good to me riding it as I like the softer ride vs the 03 yz450f I just got off of but my question is what's suppose to go on/how do you know it's setup for someone? Certain amount of sag when you sit on it?

Search for "setting sag" there's even numerous YouTube videos. And if you need to change springs, racetech.com has a weight/bike calculator that's free and will tell you what size spring. From there you can order whatever company's spring you want. That's IF you don't already have the right one

Thanks for the link, just so I'm understanding what it's saying, to setup the sag on a rider you want 102-105 mm difference in ride height from the rear when it's on the stand to when your on the bike correct?

yes.

then you want to check

how much the bike sags under its own weight.

this will be an indication of how much preload you have and tell you if the spring is to stiff or too soft.