Sign in to follow this  

XR400R Swapping FMF Titanium 4

I have what is likely a very easy question to answer.  I recently bought my bike and I absolutely love riding it in the Supermoto setup that the previous owner put together.  I have dirt wheels/tires and I'm pretty stoked about taking it offroad as well!

It's a 2002 XR400 with Stage 3 Hotcams, Mikuni Pumper, and a FMF Titanium 4 slipon pipe.  It rides nicely and I love riding it.  My only concern is that pipe is WAY too loud for city riding.  It's absolutely obnoxious.  I tried my google fu and it doesn't look like that particular model from FMF was made to fit an XR400.  I believe mine still has the stock header, but I am not sure.  See pic below:

IMAG0517.jpg

I am considering buying a FMF Q4 as a replacement and want to make sure it will fit without any significant modification to the exhaust.  Do you guys think I should check into re-jetting for a Q4?  It runs like a champ right now, even considering my terrible kick-starting technique.  

Is is the Powercore4 you have? I have one, and yeah it is loud. That's why I use it with the quiet insert, that won't make it a stealth machine, but it is rideable in public. As I've read, very similar to the Q4 sound.

Post an image of the muffler.

Is is the Powercore4 you have? I have one, and yeah it is loud. That's why I use it with the quiet insert, that won't make it a stealth machine, but it is rideable in public. As I've read, very similar to the Q4 sound.

Post an image of the muffler.

IMAG0518.jpg

I'm not hell bent on the Q4.  Just looking for something a little tamer on the noise side.  Obviously, I would like to keep as good of flow rates as I can.  

Pretty sure FMF sells quiet cores for much less than a new pipe. Might want to call them and check.

Pretty sure FMF sells quiet cores for much less than a new pipe. Might want to call them and check.

Thanks for the advice, I called them and the guy suggested going another route.  He said the Titanium 4 was built when sound wasn't a concern and probably put out about 105db.

I will be ordering a Powercore 4 with quiet insert.  Psyched!

The newer fmf's are definitely quieter with the inserts. I have a q4 on mine without the quiet insert in, still 94db. I had the insert in for quite some time but I still like a bit of noise, without the insert there's a definite rumble to the exhaust tone without being obnoxious.

Received and installed the Powercore 4 (no insert yet).  Different note, not quite as loud, so an improvement in my book.  Do you guys think I would need to re-jet for this pipe?  I rode it to work the next morning and it seems to function just like my other one: no bogging, some popping on decel but only after a hard accel.