Locked Up 2005 CRF250R

I have a 2005 Honda CRF250R that I purchased from a good friend just about a year ago. During that year I rode it maybe 5 times. During my most recent ride I noticed something odd. I was doing some free riding up north of family property when my bike didn't seem to be responding correctly. I pulled off and figured I had run out of gas, but to my surprise my tank was  nearly full, and yes the gas was on. So I thought maybe it overheated. I checked the coolant and it was fine. So I took a break from riding and let the bike settle. After about 30 minutes I went back to the bike and tried to kick it over. About every 5th kick the kick-starter wouldn't budge at all. It would take some muscling, but it would kick over, shut off and "lock up" again. After about 5 failed attempts I left it for the rest of our trip. I got back home and drained the oil and noticed some brass looking metal shavings in the oil. So I took off the left side crank cover and noticed metal flakes all in the bottom. I'm wondering what it was and what this means. If ANYONE has any ideas of knowledge of this it would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics of what I found.IMG_0416.jpgIMG_0415.jpg

Your rod bearing is gone I have an 04 that's locked up right now trouble is they don't hold much oil. You probably had blow by like me and it got too hot in there and the rod bearing locked up. I bought a wiesco kit on ebsy for 350$ it has piston rings crank gaskets everything you need me sure piston and rings are replaced or it will happen again. The problem with blow back or blow by is its not noticeable. I'm in the same position as you at exact same time same bike too lol. The kit for the 04 fits the 05 and 06 too do you'll get the sane thing. Are you good with rebuilds??

Lower crank bearing went. Don't kick it over anymore. Rip the engine apart and plan to replace the crank or the bearing and rod. Hopefully the metal filings didn't damage anything else in the process.

Edited by sjvmtb

Well the kit was created by wiesco it replaces all bearings so I think he should replace it. It needs a piston and rings to stop the blow by though so it doesn't lock up again

Bit yeah if you keep kicking it it'll damage your crank case they went cheap from Honda

Your rod bearing is gone I have an 04 that's locked up right now trouble is they don't hold much oil. You probably had blow by like me and it got too hot in there and the rod bearing locked up. I bought a wiesco kit on ebsy for 350$ it has piston rings crank gaskets everything you need me sure piston and rings are replaced or it will happen again. The problem with blow back or blow by is its not noticeable. I'm in the same position as you at exact same time same bike too lol. The kit for the 04 fits the 05 and 06 too do you'll get the sane thing. Are you good with rebuilds??

Damn, $350? I guess I shouldn't complain it could be worse. Rebuilds? I've never done one before but I have a service manual and I'm pretty confident I could do it, maybe with some help from a friend of mine. How do I go about this whole process? Just start tearing it apart? Or is there only one specific region of the motor I need to focus on?

Timing you have to get everything back in how it came out

When you take the valve cover off take a sharpie and mark the camshaft sprocket and chain where you can see that's where they meet

lkeffersyz: what exactly was the kit? was it a piston kit? a crankshaft and connecting rod kit?

I'll send you the link hold on one min

Honda CRF250 Piston Kit | eBay

www.ebay.com › ... › Motorcycle Parts

Crap wrong thing

Honda CRF250 Piston Kit | eBay

www.ebay.com › ... › Motorcycle Parts

Nevermind thats it. It is best kit on market I know of I gotta order it tomorrow for my 04

Awesome, thanks for the help man! I don't think I'll be ordering mine tomorrow, but definitely sometime soon. Good luck with your build! Hopefully I can get this thing running again soon!

Well just message me when you start yours I'll get your name on here and send you step by step photos

I probably won't start for a while. I just finished up a 125 I picked up when my 250 took a shit on me lol.

What is the 125

2001 Honda CR125

Cool when I get 2 strokes I stick with yz they have most powerful power band haha

2001 Honda CR125

- New Swingarm

- my 05 front and rear wheels (powder coated)

- my 05 front suspension

- my 05 rear suspension

IMG_0496.JPGIMG_0499.JPG