2007 DRZ Will only idle

I have a new to me 07 DRZ400SM. I took it out yesterday for the first real ride and it ran great. Made a few stops here and there and started without issue.

Today I went to take it out and it wont stay running. I can only get it to idle with the chock on. If I blip the throttle or pin it just coughs and dies like it isnt getting fuel. I checked the pecok and fuel is flowing from the tank. I pulled the carb, dropped the bowl and unscrewed and cleaned the jets. Threw it all back together and still does the same thing.

It seems like a fueling issue but I am too new to DRZs to know if there is something else I should look at.

Thank you for any advice/pointers.

PS: I have also unpluged the three yellow wire plug which I have read is the stator and it didn't change anything.

Edited by 707eric

Similar issues here.

It's either an '06 or an '07 DR-Z 400E, not that there's any differences since they only update dirtbikes every fifteen years or so.

Brought it out after winter, tried to start it, wouldn't go, check the tank, and it's out of gas. Figured I must've siphoned it during the winter and forgotten.

Put some gas in and choke it and it fires right up. As soon as the thing warms up and the RPM's changes, I shut the choke off, just like I've always done on all my bikes, but it just dies.

Rinse and repeat, and the engine is hot to the touch, but will not idle without the choke. However, if I play with the throttle and switch off the choke, I can hold it at low-medium throttle and it runs. Using this, I rode it around for a bit to see if it would shoot anything through the carb (This is with choke off). After nothing, I figured it might need some help, so I turn onto the street and hammer down and bring it to the rev limiter for first and second, bike hauls without hesitating, turn around in neighbor's driveway, bring it back the same way, cruise the trail in third to get it cool and see if it's just low RPM's that it won't run at, but it does that fine.

Pull the clutch in and it instantly dies. It kills it faster than the electric kill switch is capable of by cutting spark.

Was really hoping to get it running this weekend and look into getting it road legal, but I pull the carb to clean it because its always the carb, and when I take the fuel line off the tank, gas goes everywhere.

Shit, this was more than what was in the hose. Petcock isn't working. (My XT's petcock leaks on off and reserve, but not on. Think the gas froze and it ruined them? I only put 91 octane in them) Probably didn't siphon gas. Probably dripped out of the overflow for six months. Probably too flooded to idle.

At this point, I had already ripped out the heart of the beast, so I'll be cleaning it tomorrow and see if that works. If not, I'll try to get a petcock or petcock gasket that fixes the leak.

I'll try to update how it works out when I get it cleaned.

It's getting spark and fuel (Otherwise it wouldn't ride as well as it does), and the oil, oil filter, and air filter were replaced at the same time as the carb was last cleaned (Eight months or fifty miles or so).

If this is a common issue, I would appreciate some common solutions being thrown at me.

Hope this helps OP somehow too.

Your issue sounds a little different. No matter how I work the throttle, choke in or out it simply will not run when throttle is applied. I will add that the bike just came back from the hop where they did a tune up, oil change, valve adjustment, (totally unrelated) fork seal replacement.

Half tempted to buy an FCR, just need to figure out how to get it without a divorce :jawdrop:

When I got my 2005 S it had set a wile and did the exact same thing, could only start it with the choke on and it would only idle.

Turned out to be the slide was stuck closed in the carburetor.

It seems strange that yours was running fine the day before though, but I guess it doesn't take much to gum up the slide, worth a try.

When I got my 2005 S it had set a wile and did the exact same thing, could only start it with the choke on and it would only idle.

Turned out to be the slide was stuck closed in the carburetor.

It seems strange that yours was running fine the day before though, but I guess it doesn't take much to gum up the slide, worth a try.

I had a similar issue with a yamaha Virago, since you cracking the throttle isn't physically opening the slide it just bogs and dies. clean the carb really well, every little port and pinhole and make sure the slide is free. 

The slide is free here.

It's always run lean, due to the previous owner putting a pipe on it, but not rejetting it, but I didn't think it was much leaner than what the California legal street bikes come stock at.

I think I'll end up getting a jet kit based on this post: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/601642-drz400e-white-brothers-e-series-need-help-jetting/?p=5821937

Haven't found anything else, and the guys who bought White Brothers are no help. They insisted it needs to be stock jets, but the spark plug is burnt white, so.

I normally put ninety-one octane in it, but all I had on hand was eighty-seven octane, so I'm thinking it's too starting to wonder if that's what's making the difference for this year from last year.

If that's the case, it's REALLY lean, so I'm not even putting the carb back in it until I get new jets.

I went ahead and tore the carb apart again for the third time. I removed every part that would come off and cleaned every orifice. All jets have light coming through them. I put it all back together and the bike will still only idle, the idle sounds smooth and just like when the bike was running fine. If I blip, pin, or roll on the throttle the bike sounds like it is bogging out and dies. If I twist the throttle just before it dies, let off, then twist the same amount over and over I can get it to backfire a little. 

From my past experience with carbed bikes this really seems like a fueling issue. Is there something else I should be looking at? Possibly some ignition test I should run? As previously stated I have already unplugged the triple yellow wire plug so I don't think the stator is the issue.

I have gone ahead and ordered an FCR in hopes this resolves the issue but it would be nice to be sure it is the issue. 

It is a fuel flow issue. I was able to get the bike to "run" by pulling the filter and spraying carb cleaner into the intake as I twisted the throttle. She ran great and would rev without issue. I tore apart the petcock and it seems to be clear and appears to flow without issue. 

I have gone ahead and ordered a Raptor petcock also just to be safe.

they did a tune up, oil change,"" valve adjustment"", (totally unrelated) fork seal replacement.

Half tempted to buy an FCR, just need to figure out how to get it without a divorce :jawdrop:

...  i would guess carburator problem to .. but that little detail underlined above i would be highly suspect of .. they may have had the 'new' guy do it ...

Edited by cowpie

So installed the new FCR today (per the TT instructions) and the bike does the same thing. Idles perfectly but as so as I touch the throttle it dies.

Any suggestions?

Already spent $600 on a new carb, what s a few hundred more?

Check your oil , just in case the old carb overflowed and contaminated your oil . If it smells of gas , change it , greg

Oils is good, level is perfect and smell is correct

Oils is good, level is perfect and smell is correct

you got a super good seal on the clamps? mine was never sealing in the lower rear brake direction(like point a arrow frm point to point)

is it a abnormal  high idle or normal idle?

how many turns is the fuel screw? did you buy the r&d flex screw, its dope

oem vacuum petcock? non-vacuum petcock?

i was having plenty of problems with my slant, but none as you described..

where in ca are you?

im in lake county.

Edited by 707LAKE

So installed the new FCR today (per the TT instructions) and the bike does the same thing. Idles perfectly but as so as I touch the throttle it dies.

Any suggestions?

Already spent $600 on a new carb, what s a few hundred more?

Does it die when riding it.? or when standing free revving ? 

Edited by Craigo 485sm

I think I have a good seal. I am going to pull it off again to install the R&D screw and check seal.

The idle is normal

Screw was 2 turns though I  tried more and less to see if it would help

I have a raptor petcock.

Live in Rohnert Park

It dies when I give it gas, can't get out of the garage to ride.

I think I have a good seal. I am going to pull it off again to install the R&D screw and check seal.

The idle is normal

Screw was 2 turns though I  tried more and less to see if it would help

I have a raptor petcock.

Live in Rohnert Park

It dies when I give it gas, can't get out of the garage to ride.

do you have the nipples on your head?

if so you probably have to connect them..not sure whre..

craigo or somebody more fcr familiar will know

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4645/fcrvacuumline.jpg

do you have the nipples on your head?

if so you probably have to connect them..not sure whre..

craigo or somebody more fcr familiar will know

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4645/fcrvacuumline.jpg

The nipple is for if I was still running the stock vacuum operated petcock. 

Please insure you have no vacuum leaks as in an open nipple on the carb. Since you have installed the FCR and you still have a problem it may be electronic/ electric in nature. The TT kits are good but some jetting may need changed for your own bike and area. Gremlins like this are tough to figure out over the net. Could be something simple. Could be deep trouble.

Since you have installed the FCR and you still have a problem it may be electronic/ electric in nature.

I would start with the most simple thing, a new spark plug.

Previously swapped plugs, the old one was orange spark. New one was giving blue spark. 

Battery is dead now so charging it. I have tested the charging system and most test seem to past. Once I can start again I need to verify if it the battery is charging which is the last test I was unable to perform.

I am leaning towards possible bad stator. I may pop off the cover while it is charging to see if it looks like some of the fried ones I have seen pictures of.