Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) 2011 FE390 owner. I have a few ?'s

Well, I'm finally the proud owner for a 2011 Husaberg FE390. I missed out on a 2010, but I feel it was for the better.  I picked it up my bike today. It has 54.5 hours/1021 miles. I was only able to take it for a rip around my neighborhood (still snow covered here). Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited.

1.) Couple of things...What's everyones preference on oil?

2.) What octane fuel do people prefer to run?

3.) Does anyone have the part number for the front brake switch wiring? Currently my bikes tailight only comes on with the rear brake.

4.) What options are there for a header pipe guard? I really can't beleive the price of the P3 carbon pieces. What else do I have for options?

5.) Are there plastic frame guards to protect against the boot rubbing?

6.) Lastly, I may want to take this bike on occasion to work. I have a short 2 mile back road drive. I surprised to find out that I didn't have a steering lock or a key of any sort. What have others done to protect their bike against theft?

7.) Is the weep hole mod necessary?

I think that's it for now.

the manual recommends higher octane fuel so i run that when available. on some adventure rides i could only get standard fuel and it's run that plenty of times without any pinging or other issues.

5.) Are there plastic frame guards to protect against the boot rubbing? yes

no steering lock? the aussie models all have them, i'm surprised they would drop it for the US models. 

weephole mod wouldn't be needed if you don't ride in mud or follow others in dusty conditions IMO. but even so you could not bother doing the mod but just watch for fluid dribbling out of there which means dust or mud has got in and has buggered your seals.

awesome bikes, you wont be disappointed.

Thank you for the reply.  I've just ordered new springs for my weight, frame guards, header guard, oem tool kit (bike didn't come with it).  

I'm going to be stripping down the bike, giving it a good cleaning and service.   

Edited by Koko

The  book specifies 10w-50. I stick w/ this viscosity for summertime, but winter, i prefer to use 5w-40 for easier/faster warmup.

I use Belray & Motul 10w-50 In semi-synthetic. I use Rotella-T fully synthetic Diesel oil in 5w-40.

Gas, I've run 87 oct all the way to 93 oct. I can't tell a difference in perf between the two, nor can I tell whether any detonation's occuring w/ 87 oct.

So if you want to feel good/do the right thing, use high oct. But if you have multiple thumpers to feed, use whatever's available in your gas can. It's all good.

the front brake wiring part is the same as a KTM. Try Searching for it under KTM brand if you can't find it under Husaberg.

Thank you very much! I have some follow up questions. Can you help me identify what these wires are for? I'm assuming horn, turn signals. No idea what you others are for.

1395511308371.jpg

1395511332697.jpg

1395511358965.jpg

1395511375779.jpg

Well, I'm finally the proud owner for a 2011 Husaberg FE390. I missed out on a 2010, but I feel it was for the better.  I picked it up my bike today. It has 54.5 hours/1021 miles. I was only able to take it for a rip around my neighborhood (still snow covered here). Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited.

3.) Does anyone have the part number for the front brake switch wiring? Currently my bikes tailight only comes on with the rear brake.

4.) What options are there for a header pipe guard? I really can't beleive the price of the P3 carbon pieces. What else do I have for options?

6.) Lastly, I may want to take this bike on occasion to work. I have a short 2 mile back road drive. I surprised to find out that I didn't have a steering lock or a key of any sort. What have others done to protect their bike against theft?

I think that's it for now.

I use Motul 10-50 in my 2010 FE450. 

Nothing less than 91 octane EVER, then I also add fuel stabilizer and every now and then I add Lucas FI cleaner to the fuel as well.

No, I don't. But give either of these folks a ring or email and they will, I guarantee it.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/

http://slavensracing.com/

This is the header pipe gaurd I placed on my Husaberg. Works great, can take a beating and not expensive at all. I purchased mine at CycleBuy (link above) but here is the direct link to FlatLand racing.

http://www.flatlandracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FR&Category_Code=Husaberg+Pipe+Guards

Yes.... Again, I bought mine at CycleBuy.

http://www.cyclebuy.com/husaberg/accessories/protection.htm

I have never seen a U.S. model with a key or steering lock. Not on the 450 or 390 anyway. Not sure about the 570.

Weep hole where and for what?

In your second picture, the two smaller connectors are for the speedometer.  In the last picture, that connector looks like the headlight connector.   I just wired up my TE 300.

Thanks guys! I think I have the wiring figured out now. Man did I have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the darn oem horn wires. One good thing is that the bike got a real good cleaning. HA!

I had to remove the the right side radiator to get at the wiring. Looks like now I need to pick up a jug of coolant too as well as oil.

I ordered up a brake switch wire for up front too. The flatlands pipe guard and the oem frame guards.

Edited by Koko

I helped a friend wire up is FE570 last week.  Remember to hook up the taillight before full installing the subframe.

• Like 1

you may have seen the list i compiled ages ago for 70 degree bergs. if not it might have some handy stuff to look out for, especially the fuel pump depending on which month in 2011 your bike was manufactured. it's got the details for the weephole mod too. 

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902781