Sign in to follow this  

XR600 how much oil does yours burn?

All,

Curious how much engine oil these bikes should?

In 135 miles of mostly gravel roads mine burnt about 1/2 quart. Seems like more than it should be.

It's not leaking and it doesn't smoke noticeably....but it is an '86.

I haven't ridden it very much (new to me) so I check everything a lot more than normal.

Mine seems inconsistant. I should watch milage & then measure , but usually check after a good ride. If you check it cold, it seems like engine must run at idle for like 5 minutes to get an good reading. Best to check it at end of your ride, & I also let it idle for a minute before shutting down & checking. But back to question, some times 1/2 quart on a hard ride/track & sometimes hardly any when doing mild riding. So I'm not the best guage, but maybe now I will try to be more diligent with milage & top off.

1/2 quart in 135 miles seems kind of high to me...  My 2012 XRL burnt about a 1/2 quart on a 700 mile ride from Fort Worth, TX to Albuquerque, NM.  This was with stock gearing, no oil cooler, basically a new bike.  It was being put through the paces, 65-70 mph (non-interstate) so I was not surprised about the oil consumption and very happy I did not know the head temp.

If your bike is an 86', then you are looking at nearly 28 years on the motor, furthermore, who knows if a top end has ever been done on it.  What you could do is ride the bike and begin to procure parts for a rebuild...

I believe the way you are supposed to check the oil level on these is to run it until fully up to temp then check oil just after shutting it off (w/in a minute or two).

Do not screw dipstick back in when checking...just insert till threads touch the fill hole.

It runs really good...starts and idles smooth and has good power. Still that doesn't necessarily mean everything is ok. It is old....

I'll have to watch the consumption for a while.

if it doesn't smoke or leak it's not loosing it. There is a proper way to check the oil in these bikes. Purchase a repair Manuel. Trust me it's worth every dime. But seriously learn how to check the oil. There is a sequence to it. Real simple. But very important!!!!!

Edited by Fivefive1

if it doesn't smoke or leak it's not loosing it. There is a proper way to check the oil in these bikes. Purchase a repair Manuel. Trust me it's worth every dime. But seriously learn how to check the oil. There is a sequence to it. Real simple. But very important!!!!!

Ahh, maybe try reading the whole post next time...

Enlighten me? You said it doesn't burn oil or leak but your missing a 1/2 quart of oil, and your new to the bike. These bikes are tricky with oil...so that leaves me to believe you don't know how to check it properly

And I didn't say it doesn't burn oil, I said it doesn't smoke noticeably.

Most engines burn some oil, I'm trying to find out if mine is burning a lot more than it should.

Wouldn't know..Mine burns none that I've noticed..Mind you I haven't been on any extended 200-400k rides at

60-70-80mph for a while..

The tolerances in these bikes are generous, which is why I run a heavier 20/50. Tucson and back to my ranch..330 miles...70..75 mph...I used 4 oz. But with lighter weight I might have used 10 oz.

I find it best to check after riding and not just a quick spin either.  I do it after a loner ride.  That way you know it's up to temperature and the lower end is all pumped out.

The times my bikes used oil it was being blown out the breather a lot more than out the tailpipe.

My 93 600R would burn about a half quart or more in 1000 miles, that was a mix of trail, gravel, and paved roads. It was most noticeable after riding for awhile at 55-60mph. After I put a new piston and rings I don't use any between oil changes (1000-1200 miles)