How to fill fork cartridge?

Ok so just to clear things up, 2013 ktm sx450f needed fork seals. First time doing forks and with a little youtube vid help i got them torn down last night. I know that too bleed the cartridge with the little amount of oil in there by un screwing the air bleeder screw and letting what amount comes out. But when putting the forks back together and the in my case 390cc's of oil goes into the fork leg outside the cartridge with the spring and dampener rod, how do i put oil into the cartridge again. And how much oil? First time doing this and the youtube vid shows taking the small amount of it out but not putting fresh oil back in there? Just a little confused its the one thing i didnt understand. 

Basically you dont realy need an exact number. Just extend the rod. Pour oil in up to the holes on top of the cartridge, compress the Rod slowly a couple of times so that the oil gets sucked in. Top off again almost up to the holes,bleed the oil from air, than insert yhe compression assembly back in holding the cartridge at an angle with the bleed screw out of the compression assembly (this makes sure you dont trap air).

While putting the compression assembly back in a small amount of oil will come out (this is ok). After you screw the assembly back in compress the rod one time fully and oil will come out the holes on top. Than just turn it over (without compressing anything) let the excess oil drain out and your good to go!

BTW if you assembled the cartridge correctly then when you compress the rod it should rebound smoothly by its own to a complete stop.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

It's a w.p. Fork....see SlavinsRacing you tube......just don't flatten out the batters before you install them ....you do have a needle and a low pressure pump correct???....17-20 psi is good

Huh? Forks , not the shock. There is no bladder in the forks nor is a pump needed.

Edited by YHGEORGE

The w.p. Cc fork has had a bladder since 07 ....they use it in place of the ics spring found on kyb..Showa

You do not need to get into the inner chamber just to do the seals. I would compress the rod and let the excess oil escape from the inner chamber.

Swap seals and put 385-390 cc oil in outer chamber. For the SX model

This fork is found on all SX Ktm's Since 07 and all Xc models 08-13 ( big bikes )

Edited by E-TECH