Sign in to follow this  

Switching to 450?

So currently I have a kx 250 2 stroke and was wanting to get a newer bike, my thoughts at first we're to get a 250f but now I'm thinking coming off a 250 that the 250f will be weaker then what I want, so I considered a 450 instead. I ride pretty good and ride only woods, I'm on the small side tho only weighing 134lbs and 5,10 any help will be greatly appreciated!

~ride or die~

So currently I have a kx 250 2 stroke and was wanting to get a newer bike, my thoughts at first we're to get a 250f but now I'm thinking coming off a 250 that the 250f will be weaker then what I want, so I considered a 450 instead. I ride pretty good and ride only woods, I'm on the small side tho only weighing 134lbs and 5,10 any help will be greatly appreciated!

~ride or die~

I'm pretty much the same size as you, I currently have a 13' kx250f. My uncle has an 11' kx450f which I ride more then he does at this point. I love the 450 for the track but it's definitely not a good bike for me in the woods, especially when it gets really tight. It's just to much for me, to heavy and bulky. My uncle who's 6'1, ripped (in extremely good shape for his age and has been riding all his life) agrees with me and is now thinking about downgrading to a ktm 350.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Breaky0self

but it's.....what?  Don't leave us hanging.  

but it's.....what? Don't leave us hanging.

Lol sorry, accidentally hit submit before I was done, had to edit to finish!

Thank you.  My feelings exactly.  I'm 5' 7" and was 170 when I last raced a 450 (woods and mx).  Too much in the woods for me----didn't want to turn.  Awesome for MX and wider hare scrambles.

• Like 1

I have two good friends on Honda 250Fs now after several 450s each. Woods use, HS use only, no mx. Both are 210+ and very happy with the smaller bikes. More than enough hp.

A 450 with a dynaring/rekluse exp, and a throttle cam (.200, .300, .400), might be awesome though.

Where do you live, gwarren?  What kind of terrain are we talking?

I live in the mountains of North Carolina terrain is just a lot woods and some single track

~ride or die~

I rode 250 2 strokes in the woods for a few years.  Last year I bought an '06 wr450f and it took one ride to be just as fast (or faster) on singletrack than I was on the 2 strokes.  I weigh 150 after lunch.  

Engine braking and a WIDE range of power makes for an easy way to ride fast in the woods - For me, at least.  

Yea, I've rode a yz450f a long time ago and I was extremely small so it scared me but now I'm really sure I'm ready for one, everyone I ride with says a 250f and others say a 450, I was considering a newer yz 250 but I just wanna get a thumper for now. Thanks everyone for the suggestions

~ride or die~