Clarke Gas Tank Question

I got my Clarke 3.9 gallon tank yesterday, and everything looks nice, fits nice, etc.  However, there is a thick wire bracket up front that, per the instructions, is to go from one side of the tank to the other, right behind the steering head.  The wire is bent at a funny angle, and does not really fit well up in there. 

I am thinking of not using it, as the tank feels very secure without the wire.

Any thoughts from those of you who have these tanks?  Wire yes or no?

Thanks.

Mark R.

Albuquerque, NM

You need to use the wire, it will keep the tank from spreading over time.

The wire is directional, perhaps you have it backwards / upside down? You may need to squeeze the tank together some to get it to fit, but it will fit.

I have that wire installed on my 3.9 Clarke tank.  On my S model it passes thru the frame, just behind the steering head, very close to the radiator hose that connects the tops of both radiators.  You need to bend the wire a little to get it to fit sometimes.

No wire on mine.

Bought it used and have it for 2 years.

First time I ear about a wire.

I got my Clarke 3.9 gallon tank yesterday, and everything looks nice, fits nice, etc.  However, there is a thick wire bracket up front that, per the instructions, is to go from one side of the tank to the other, right behind the steering head.  The wire is bent at a funny angle, and does not really fit well up in there. 

I am thinking of not using it, as the tank feels very secure without the wire.

Any thoughts from those of you who have these tanks?  Wire yes or no?

Thanks.

Mark R.

Albuquerque, NM

As Ohio said. easy install with the 2 Phillips head bolts and a little tweaking of the thin rod. it comes with the tank for a reason so i put it on mine and no issues

Thanks everyone.  I'll bend it enough to get it on there without messing anything else up.

I had the same question years ago. I bent a small V in the middle of mine, maybe 1.5", to make it fit. Almost 7 years and still going strong.

No wire on mine.

Bought it used and have it for 2 years.

First time I ear about a wire.

I've had my drz a little over a year now and don't have the wire either...

I'm rocking the wire, it's an added nuisance taking the tank on and off but I figured it was included for a reason.

+1 for no wire 5 years strong on road and off

anyone know where the best deal is for a clarke. I think ive given in to getting a clarke vs ims or others that i would need to modify to fix on my S. if anyone has input for something other than clarke ot the ims let me know.

thanks

I have the translucent one and love it. May not be the prettiest but seeing your fuel level is better than any gauge. Plus I can easily go 160 miles of hard DS riding without a fuel stop.

I had my tank off the bike once in the hot sun and it spread apart enough that it would not stay in the holders when I reinstalled it.  I'm pretty sure the wire helps to keep it from spreading when it is really hot out.  My tanks is also getting old.

I have the clear version on my SM. The only problem is the left front fork hits the left edge of the Clarke 3.9 tank. This prevents me from making sharp left turns. I can force the bars but the left fork makes contact which forces the gas tank to move a bit. This is a known issue. It also moves the left radiator because the shroud connects it to the tank. This wears out the rubber radiator mounts causing the radiator to seem loose. I just replaced the rubbers. Ugh.

I've tried everything to position this tank to clear. Called Clarke and nothing can be done. Some of their tanks have this issue. It's out of warranty. The bike is a newer SM 100% street and I'm old so no jumps or bent parts that would cause this.

Other than the forks touching and preventing you from making smooth sharp U turns this tank is GREAT! Buy one and just make right turns :)

I asked Clarke what the bar is for. They said it prevents the tank from coming off if you go down or travel on very bumpy roads/ jumps. If you don't have it installed the only thing securing the heaviest part of the tank are the C clamps under the tank (made of plastic) These slip over the factory rubber mounts. There are two bolts under the seat (rear of tank) that hold the tank to the frame but if you look very close the fuel travels around these mounting holes. So if you jump a lot or go down with no wire and the heavy part flops up, down and all around this bends (stresses) these rear tank mounts. Tear or crack these... Game over. I hope this book helps.

anyone know where the best deal is for a clarke. I think ive given in to getting a clarke vs ims or others that i would need to modify to fix on my S. if anyone has input for something other than clarke ot the ims let me know.

thanks

ive looked around quite a bit..and found the 2 best sources..

wheeliing cycle supply.. who ill be ordering my black clarke from this month..

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/clarke-oversized-gas-tank/14

or just gas tanks. com.. they have a few different available.

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_72_73

Yes Sir! Mr. Forest at Wheeling is a stand up guy. Man of his word. Enough said.