Sign in to follow this  

suspension help

hey i have a 2005 honda crf450r that i just picked up use and need help how to set the suspension up. i ride alot of desert but im planning on starting to ride motocross tracks. im 17 5'6" and i weight 120 lbs. what should i do. and im not going to get a smaller bike either. i like having the biggest bike as long as i can ride it fast.

hey i have a 2005 honda crf450r that i just picked up use and need help how to set the suspension up. i ride alot of desert but im planning on starting to ride motocross tracks. im 17 5'6" and i weight 120 lbs. what should i do. and im not going to get a smaller bike either. i like having the biggest bike as long as i can ride it fast.

I would look first to get your spring rate correct for your body weight.

Thanks I took it out and rode it a lot and played with the clickers and was able to get it really nice with out any springs. But may look into valving it.

Thanks I took it out and rode it a lot and played with the clickers and was able to get it really nice with out any springs. But may look into valving it.

it puzzles me that how much I read how quickly people will re valve before spring rates are dialed in. Stock valving is pretty darn good for most. Springs are essential to bike balance. 120lb rider on a 450 with stock springs is way too stiff unless your James Stewart. Changing springs is cheaper than doing valves

I got it set up nice for my riding style. Ran real flat through the whoops. And it didn't want to buck me around. I though also that I was going to have to do the springs since it is the stock suspension. But it suprised me out in the desert

I got it set up nice for my riding style. Ran real flat through the whoops. And it didn't want to buck me around. I though also that I was going to have to do the springs since it is the stock suspension. But it suprised me out in the desert

those are areas where stiff springs are preferred, Whoops and desert haulin.