1993 ktm 300 exc no spark! help

• 3 years later...

Pretty sure those year bikes have the SEM ignition?   If so it is most likely shot.  You will most likely never find a good replacement and if you do it will cost $$$ and it will eventually fail as well.  

Best fix is to do a complete ignition conversion upgrade.  There is a really good thread about it over at KTM talk in the oldies but goodies section ?

In short, after KTM dropped the SEM ignitions and went to a different design in like 97 or 98 give or take and the stators and flywheels everything bolt on comparable with the older bikes to at least 1991.  250/300's. up to 07 ish  When i had my 92 300 exc, i ended up using a 06 200 xcw, stator and flywheel with an 03 250sx cdi and an 06 wire harness i think.  I did the whole conversion for like $300 buying stuff off ebay and shopping for good deals.  Really easy, plug and play, only thing you have to finagle is mounting the CDI and ignition coil, there is lots of room and it is easy if you are remotely shop/mechanically inclined.  Bike ran flawless after.

The trick is to use the parts for certain model years that have the same connectors so it all plugs together no problem.  All that info is in that retro fit thread on KTMTalk.  

• 2 years later...

@subxero I just bought a 1996 300 exc with no spark. Got it on the cheap so I'm down to do this conversion you're talking about. Can you give me specifics on what you needed to swap? Are those years and bikes accurate? Why did you put a 200xcw stator and flywheel and 250sx cdi and 06 wire harness / versus just getting all 1997+ 300 exc parts? (not doubting you just wondering why). Did you need to do any jetting modifications along with the conversion? Thanks

2 hours ago, tahoenj said:

@subxero I just bought a 1996 300 exc with no spark. Got it on the cheap so I'm down to do this conversion you're talking about. Can you give me specifics on what you needed to swap? Are those years and bikes accurate? Why did you put a 200xcw stator and flywheel and 250sx cdi and 06 wire harness / versus just getting all 1997+ 300 exc parts? (not doubting you just wondering why). Did you need to do any jetting modifications along with the conversion? Thanks

Off the top of my head there are many different combo years you can use, i ended up using what i did because that's what i found cheap for the most part and...

If i remember right, the xcw stators have an output for lights.... i could be wrong but i think that's right.

250sx cdi probably had the most aggressive ignition map but really probably didn't matter.

The harness though is important.  It is easiest if you get a harness that has the same plug configuration as both the stator wires and the CDI to make it simple plug and play.

I don't have a ton of info on it right now but i got everything off of KTMtalk.  There is a section on the forum called something like "Oldies but Goodies"  Its for older KTMs,   There was a topic in there (very long) some guy had started as he went through the process of figuring it all out.  Somewhere in there is the rhyme and reason.  If you don't have an account on there, you should probably get one, it is a good resource for old KTM stuff.  

If i have time today, perhaps i can dig through my old Ebay history and see what exactly i bought but don't hold your breath ;)

here is link to ktmtalk thread but without an account i don't think you will be able to see anything

https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?498694-The-SEM-to-Kokusan-ignition-retrofit-thread

My ebay orders only go back a couple years so no dice there.

Either way, i'm 99% sure on the years and what not of the parts i ordered.  Those will work, and anything 200-300 2stroke in those years should work despite subtle differences 

Edited by subxero

Ok after a quick look i sounds like this

Just forget about anything 08 and newer to avoid confusion

the 2K-1 parts are SX parts and the 2K-2 parts are xcw parts.   So 2k1, no lighting output, and lighter flywheels, 2k2, very low lighting output off the stator and slightly heavier flywheel.

Pick your poison, again the main thing is to find a combo that has the same plugs.  So just get 05 or 06 stator and harness and you should be good to go.  I can't remember if 07 year stuff works or not?? soo just stick with 05-06 to be safe.  The CDI's you can go back a little further, again the 03 CDI i got worked fine.  as long as it has the correct pin plug as the harness you should be good to go.

Then you just need to figure out how to mount the CDI and ignition coil to the bike.  

Check your stator before you remove it to see if it has a timing mark.  If the stator does, make sure you mark on the case where that mark is set before you remove it.  This should at least put you in a really close spot for the timing of the new stator when you instal it.

Good luck, don't forget to post back when you get it all done and running ?

20 minutes ago, subxero said:

here is link to ktmtalk thread but without an account i don't think you will be able to see anything

https://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?498694-The-SEM-to-Kokusan-ignition-retrofit-thread

My ebay orders only go back a couple years so no dice there.

Either way, i'm 99% sure on the years and what not of the parts i ordered.  Those will work, and anything 200-300 2stroke should work despite subtle differences 

Hey that link works even without an account. Perfect, really great stuff this is awesome thank you

2 minutes ago, subxero said:

Ok after a quick look i sounds like this

Just forget about anything 08 and newer to avoid confusion

the 2K-1 parts are SX parts and the 2K-2 parts are xcw parts.   So 2k1, no lighting output, and lighter flywheels, 2k2, very low lighting output off the stator and slightly heavier flywheel.

Pick your poison, again the main thing is to find a combo that has the same plugs.  So just get 05 or 06 stator and harness and you should be good to go.  I can't remember if 07 year stuff works or not?? soo just stick with 05-06 to be safe.  The CDI's you can go back a little further, again the 03 CDI i got worked fine.  as long as it has the correct pin plug as the harness you should be good to go.

Then you just need to figure out how to mount the CDI and ignition coil to the bike.  

Check your stator before you remove it to see if it has a timing mark.  If the stator does, make sure you mark on the case where that mark is set before you remove it.  This should at least put you in a really close spot for the timing of the new stator when you instal it.

Good luck, don't forget to post back when you get it all done and running ?

THIS  is even better.  Time to tinker. I will let you know how it goes, thanks again!

• 6 months later...

It just looks like your bike has an aftermarket Motoplat ignition system installed.  Don't know much about them other than they were pretty popular to use on these late 80's 90's KTMs that came stock with the SEM systems.

The SEM ignition is a different type of ignition system that the 80's 90's KTMs came with.  Where the coil of a normal ignition system would be there is a SEM coil looking thing.  It looks similar to a coil bit it is not, and it says SEM on it, not exactly sure how they work but they go bad and good ones are practically non existent right now.  

I'm guessing the motoplat system uses a typical coil in the system.

In your first post you ask what parts to get.  What parts for what? what are you trying to do, what's wrong?  

If you have an ignition problem and parts need replaced your best bet is to do the retro fit already outlined in this thread.