1997 cr125 rebuild

Just joined the forums since I picked up a 97 cr125 today from a friend for a pretty good deal.   It rode just fine before the top end went out, the piston is not seized and it did not blow up.  It had new front shocks put on, all the rear wheel bearings were replaced, and some carb work done before the top end went.  This will be my first rebuild so I want to make sure I do it right.

My plan is to take it apart myself, but I am wondering where I go from there?  If I take apart the top end do I just take it into a shop and they take care of the rest? Or can I avoid taking it into a shop altogether? 

I guess I am just asking what the basics are for rebuilding and what the easiest/cheapest way to go about rebuilding it is.  If there is a similar thread already could someone please post a link to it.

Thank you in advance,

ea

somethng like this

Very similar to the video.  2 strokes are very simple.  Make sure you keep everything as clean as if you were in an OR at a hospital.  I wouldn't recommend oiling the piston and cylinder.  I just use WD-40 to clean the piston and cylinder, that is enough lube for assembly and startup.  Get a factory Honda service manual so you can check piston ring gap and for the torque specs on the cylinder and head.  He didn't show that he did that and that is very important.

Do I need to have the cylinder honed?

2 stroke are actully really bulletproof i rebuild a rm80 with no manual no torque bar no ring gap check AND the head was warped so i plasterd it in instand gasket

just kept it rich so no massive heat and was a bullet lol dont judge

Do I need to have the cylinder honed?

It may need to be deglazed but you can do that with a scotch brite pad. 

It may need to be deglazed but you can do that with a scotch brite pad.

Sorry to thread hijack but, what color scotchbrite should you use? Can you show me the link to which one on their website?

Sorry to thread hijack but, what color scotchbrite should you use? Can you show me the link to which one on their website?

Most people say red.  I've used both.  I currently have a deglazing brush that I like better because it takes less elbow grease.