Sign in to follow this  

New KTM 300 MXC oil change

Hey I just got a new(to me) 1999 ktm 300 mxc. I was wanting to change the oil. I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the procedures and amounts. Also what oil would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Take the plug out ...lay bike over both ways to drain good....put in a qt. of 15-40 motor oil

Put in 700 ml, not a quart. But other than that the guy is spot on

300's take .8 liters the smaller bore bikes take .7 liters like the 125-200.

THe manual says to warm the bike up by riding it around for a bit as that is supposed to make it drain better. I only remove one side drain plug on my 200 and I'm not sure if the 300 has two or not but either way I'd only remove one, should be on the shifter side.

After draining the oil and carefully retightening the drain plug, it's easy to strip if you over tighten it.  I would then fill it with ATF, it works really well for me and many others as well, though some will say not to run it. The theory is that it is really good for the clutch and it certainly makes the clutch action work better. The main thing you don't want to do is use a motor oil for cars or anything else that has friction modifiers as it's really bad for the clutch. 

You can always run something like Bel Ray gear saver or whatever other motorcycle transmission oil you find that works with wet clutches but ATF works great for me. 

• Like 1

Put in 700 ml, not a quart. But other than that the guy is spot on

KTM 250-300 before 04 take more oil than the newer ones....I BELIVE it was 950 cc....so yes put about a qt in it.....

The oil level plug will not strip.....unless YOU strip it....it's small do not tighten it very tight.

Edited by E-TECH

Hey I just got a new(to me) 1999 ktm 300 mxc. I was wanting to change the oil. I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the procedures and amounts. Also what oil would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Google around and find your owners and service manual. My 97' 250sx takes 0.8 liters (800 ml) SAE 30. Bel Ray gear saver is well reviewed also.

In spite of what anyone says .  Do not use the oil level check screw because eventually you will strip it out no mater how careful you are.. The manual that I have on hand calls for 800cc's of oil..

As for oil, these days I am using Honda gear oil cause it is easy to find.  But over the years [like 50+] of dirt biking I have used about everything ..  I say go see what is readily available in your area and go with that.

Edited by zilla