Sign in to follow this  

How Bad is This?

Basically what would be my best option ? if you can tell from the pics....

whole new bottom end or splitting cases replacing what needs to be, bearing in mind i won't be doing this myself, or break the whole bike down n sell.

I live in the uk.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

It looks to me like you just need a countershaft seal though. And a lesson in preventative maintenance lol

• Like 1

As yellow said. Buy the seal kit and replace. Easy fix and there's a how to up in the stickies. Before pulling your bike apart you should give it a good clean

Edited by klx_dude
  • Like 1

i have ordered the All Balls seal kit, but i don't know if you can tell by the pics but there is like cracked metal there, the rubber seal had completely been eroded and the ittle bracket thing which the two screws hold on had become slightly bent as if forced out of position, (the bike is generally clean, it was just the fallout of oil from the fail.) 

Grab that metal collar on the shaft and pull it out, with large channel locks or vice grips , you should install a new one of those, and rmove any remnant of previous seal. But this is an outside of the motor repair, no case split needed. Hose the area between shaft and collar with some wd40.

thanks spud, just got the bearing kit through today gonna take alooksee, there's shredded metal up in there, looks to of been impacted by something.   reckon it's a bearing? 

Basically what would be my best option ? if you can tell from the pics....

whole new bottom end or splitting cases replacing what needs to be, bearing in mind i won't be doing this myself, or break the whole bike down n sell.

I live in the uk.

my friend had the exact problem as the guy in this video.

he had a leaking seal, replaced seal ..leaked within 10 minutes

replaced seal 2nd time, (thinking seal was installed wrong)

go ride // leak oil again within 10 minutes..

it was the bearings..and you gota split the cases

wiggle you C/s if there is play your bearing are probably toasted

at 1:12 he shows the shattered bearings for the C/s

thanks spud, just got the bearing kit through today gonna take alooksee, there's shredded metal up in there, looks to of been impacted by something. reckon it's a bearing?

It's hard to tell from the pics... but it looks like the shield (brownish-orange) from the CS bearing. Where’s the oil seal? Remove the metal spacer that sits over the CS and then have a better look. Does the CS have radial play? If in fact that orange/brown piece is the bearing shield and its trashed there will be no way to replace it without splitting the cases. However, I don’t see any real problem running without the bearing shield (probably keeps too much oil from entering into the cavity between the bearing and CS oil seal).

Should look like this without the spacer and oil seal:

image.jpg

Edited by bmwpowere36m3