Sign in to follow this  

cr125 won't idle

Hi all,

I know this has been posted before, I've read everything i could find.

Got the bike as an non runner so don't know how it ran before (2002).

Cleaned out the carb. it was a right mess, checked all jetting sizes,reassembled and it started up but it just won't idle. 

fine on the choke but as soon as you let choke off, Revs rise then It quickly drops and dies.

All jets are stock but iv'e tried pilots up and down to no avail. also replaced float seat, air screw, and idle screw and nut.

Bike sound good running

any help appreciated.

I believe you need to clean the carb some more. There are so many small passages and the slightest obstruction could cause it not to idle. Carb cleaner works miracles! Spray that sucker down and focus on the two small holes on the rim of the intake of the carb then also focus on the one small hole about half way to the slide at the inside of the non intake side of the carb. Thats the best i could explain it. Lol. The point is, you could clean a carb 3 times and still have small obstructions causing things to go wrong. Also, make sure its fully warmed up before trying to let it idle off of the choke, or else it will do what you described.

I have cleaned carb several times with carb cleaner and compressed air. Also put new pilot in.

I had it apart on dining table in house and spent hous going over every single bit.

I'm lost on this one.

If you are positive the carb is good, then your problem must be something else.

Bad reeds

Bad Crank seals

Carbon build up

Bad stator

Bad cases/leak

I'd test the stator and do a leak down test next.

If you are positive the carb is good, then your problem must be something else.

Bad reeds

Bad Crank seals

Carbon build up

Bad stator

Bad cases/leak

I'd test the stator and do a leak down test next.

Reeds look healthy.

No excessive smoking so sort of ruled out crank seals. No oil round fly wheel side.

When I first took the cover off the flywheel side it was full off water. I'm rubbish with electrics... How can I check stator?

Thanks

Macs

A leaking seal will SUCK in air, not blow out oil. A bad bearing too, will act like a bad seal.

You must do proper tests. If you are going to guess, you may never solve the problem.

You'll need your manual to do the specific stator test for resistance and voltage.