95 DR 650 top end dogs

I haven't ridden her much yet but the engine dogs at the top of the throttle coming up inclines. Ex: from 60mph up hill there seems to be a loss of umph. She's got 12000 miles on her. Any suggestions? Starts well, no smoke, the top of the air box is removed ( by po).

Thanks all

I haven't ridden her much yet but the engine dogs at the top of the throttle coming up inclines. Ex: from 60mph up hill there seems to be a loss of umph. She's got 12000 miles on her. Any suggestions? Starts well, no smoke, the top of the air box is removed ( by po).

Thanks all

I'd suspect you're lean on the main jet, particularly with the cut airbox. You can easily test this by taping up the top of the box to approximately the original opening. If it runs better at the top you can conclude a larger main is needed with the open airbox.

I'd suspect you're lean on the main jet, particularly with the cut airbox. You can easily test this by taping up the top of the box to approximately the original opening. If it runs better at the top you can conclude a larger main is needed with the open airbox.

+1

I will try that. Should I buy a replacement air box and return it to original?

How difficult is it to place a larger needle?

I wouldn't buy anything until you try running it with the taped air box. If it turns out that the main jet (that's not the same thing as the needle) is too small, you have a choice of returning the airbox to stock or experimenting with larger main jets to determine which one is correct for your cut airbox. Some people have repaired cut airboxes by replacing the cut sections with pieces of plastic or thin metal using rivets, screws or adhesives.

It's not difficult to replace the main jet although you may have to remove the carburetor to do it because the original floatbowl screw heads tend to round out if they've been in there for a while. Most people replace those JIS screws on the floatbowl with Allen heads so that removal is easier next time. Oh, and if you end up disassembling the carb, you should replace the little o-ring under the float needle seat while you are there. That might save having to take it apart again later.

Thank you. I'll try closing up the box and she how she runs. I appreciate your help~R