Sign in to follow this  

Mini Light bar - HID's are a thing of the past.

So the snow just wont quit here in New England, and the frozen sled trails have been awesome.  Me and my buddies have been heading out at night to keep out of the sleds way.  I bought this light on amazon for $45 shipped to my door.  It draws 22 Watts so its no big deal for the bikes electrical system to keep up (as long as the stock light is disabled).  I printed some plastic mounts with my 3D printer, and they have worked slick.

I say screw rewound stators and high power HID setups.

Here is a link to the light.  It does come with mounting hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Kawell%C2%AE-12LEDs-4x4-suitable-Off-road-Vehicle/dp/B00GB9SNTE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1395435085&sr=8-6&keywords=kawell

IMG_5073.JPGIMG_5074.JPGIMG_5075.JPG

I've been running LEDs for awhile now doing desert racing. HIDs don't even come close to how bright the LEDs are. Currently I only run rigid LEDs. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Just to give an example, I have a 10" bar that is as bright as four 6" HIDs.

Different color temp, more diffuse light, and much, much less robust than HID, as of right now., not to mention nearly impossible to create focused light beams. 

If you feel comfortable buying Chinese products, then go right ahead. 

I would rather GO WITHOUT than buy Chinese crap on ebay. 

nice bracket!!!  3d printer, well done!

I have a Ricky Stator Hid kit (stator, r/r, wiring, ballast and HID bulb for the stock headlight shell) and a 28w LED (ADVmonster Model 60, 4 Cree XM-L U2 lights). The LED appears brighter to the naked eye, but the HID pushes a whole lot farther down the road. The LEDs work great as fill and as a backup light source.

Different color temp, more diffuse light, and much, much less robust than HID, as of right now., not to mention nearly impossible to create focused light beams. 

If you feel comfortable buying Chinese products, then go right ahead. 

I would rather GO WITHOUT than buy Chinese crap on ebay.

I have a Ricky Stator Hid kit (stator, r/r, wiring, ballast and HID bulb for the stock headlight shell) and a 28w LED (ADVmonster Model 60, 4 Cree XM-L U2 lights). The LED appears brighter to the naked eye, but the HID pushes a whole lot farther down the road. The LEDs work great as fill and as a backup light source.

You two could be further from the truth. When dealing with LEDs you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and you get cheap. Buy from rigid or comparable and you will get more light than a HID could possibly put out with less wattage too. There is a reason NOBODY in desert racing uses HIDs anymore and everyone is running LEDs, and its not because its the in thing to do. Better packaging, last longer, brighter, and almost indestructible.

Much, much less robust than HID??  WTF are you smoking?  Maybe the cheap ebay chinese LED stuff but any proper LED offroad light, no.

Impossible to create focused light?  Again, wtf are you smoking.  I have a 20" Baja Designs Stealth LED bar on the front of my truck and it creates a VERY crisp pattern, probably the best focused light Iv ever seen, and its output is spread over TWENTY INCHES.  There is no problem focusing them, the method is different from HID/halogen, but it can be done extremely well.  Maybe the cheap chinese stuff dosnt focus for shit but im sure you could say the same for cheap chinese HID stuff also.  It seems that youve never seen an LED light in action.

Like someone else said, why do you think everyone in Baja is going to LED lights... definitely not because they suck and cant hold up...  And car manufactures such as Audi and others also going to LED headlights.  If they cant be focused how can thy be made into a Euro/DOT approved headlight...

Seriously, get over your HIDs you bought 10 years ago.  One more thing, no delay when you flip the switch on an LED, dont have to wait for shit to warm up like a HID.

• Like 1

Y'all need to chill.

I just gave my opinion of the equipment that I have and how it works for me. Dang!

Y'all need to chill.

I just gave my opinion of the equipment that I have and how it works for me. Dang!

Yea but when you pass bad info for fact like that fool krannie does all the time it gets old.

So the snow just wont quit here in New England, and the frozen sled trails have been awesome.  Me and my buddies have been heading out at night to keep out of the sleds way.  I bought this light on amazon for $45 shipped to my door.  It draws 22 Watts so its no big deal for the bikes electrical system to keep up (as long as the stock light is disabled).  I printed some plastic mounts with my 3D printer, and they have worked slick.

I say screw rewound stators and high power HID setups.

Here is a link to the light.  It does come with mounting hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Kawell%C2%AE-12LEDs-4x4-suitable-Off-road-Vehicle/dp/B00GB9SNTE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1395435085&sr=8-6&keywords=kawell

Thanks for the post. I checked the link and it says the light is 36 watts. Are you getting 22 watts at a different voltage?

Mick

Much, much less robust than HID??  &%$#@! are you smoking?  Maybe the cheap ebay chinese LED stuff but any proper LED offroad light, no.

Impossible to create focused light?  Again, &%$#@! are you smoking.  I have a 20" Baja Designs Stealth LED bar on the front of my truck and it creates a VERY crisp pattern, probably the best focused light Iv ever seen, and its output is spread over TWENTY INCHES.  There is no problem focusing them, the method is different from HID/halogen, but it can be done extremely well.  Maybe the cheap chinese stuff dosnt focus for shit but im sure you could say the same for cheap chinese HID stuff also.  It seems that youve never seen an LED light in action.

Like someone else said, why do you think everyone in Baja is going to LED lights... definitely not because they suck and cant hold up...  And car manufactures such as Audi and others also going to LED headlights.  If they cant be focused how can thy be made into a Euro/DOT approved headlight...

Seriously, get over your HIDs you bought 10 years ago.  One more thing, no delay when you flip the switch on an LED, dont have to wait for shit to warm up like a HID.

All of that is correct. But, the LED systems you purchase on ebay are not that.

I have seen the kit's, the systems, and the individual LED chip strips, and yes, the potential for being the best is right there.

Everyone is going to LED, and will go to LED, but as it sits right now, there is not a truly reliable source for LED light strip chips from China.

That is why Baja Designs uses a Japanese source, and an Australian/USA builder for their components, not China. That was my point

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=500003

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/led-lights-led-light-bar/onx-led-light-bars

Yes, I may have responded 'dickyaly' to your post, sorry.

But I just hate these ' look what I found on ebay for cheap' posts that promote JUNK quality, just because the price is low.

Carry on.

Yea but when you pass bad info for fact like that fool krannie does all the time it gets old.

Oh, don't worry about Mr Wrong.

He follows me around and critiques all my posts, and never has anything constructive to say.

He just repeats the same thing over and over:  " I hate you Krannie, and I'm going to bring you down "

So sad.

• Like 1

Okay krannie. You are right, I love reading all the crap you spew. You might have a bunch of people that don't know any better fooled but most people see right through you BS. You are constantly claiming I'm attacking you when the truth is its the other way around.

Edited by MrRong

Hello, did you need the RS stator upgrade to run their HID bulb in the stock headlight shell?  Is there a on/off toggle switch since the RS HID says it requires a battery?  Thanks 

I have a small LED cluster in my nacelle (BD Squadron wide pattern) for night riding but I use it as flood lighting for lighting up a wide path so I'm not just staring down a tunnel.  My halogen helmet lights have the throw I need and allow me to focus clearly where I am looking.

From what I can tell, the other BD versions are reliant on lenses to focus for more intensity and better distance.  I have no idea how good the long range version is but I like my flood version.  The color temp is too high for my taste though.  Light bouncing off dust clouds will blind you. not an issue with the warmer temp halogen.  This is also why I didn't upgrade to HID.

I don't have much time on my squadron but I expect a seriously long life from it.  Even my halogen bulbed helmet lights are still working with the same bulbs from 6 years ago.

Hello, did you need the RS stator upgrade to run their HID bulb in the stock headlight shell?  Is there a on/off toggle switch since the RS HID says it requires a battery?  Thanks 

Yes (or another manufactures stator upgrade) and yes.

bought the same kawell led bar and put it on i have baja designs light kit so i wired it into that and so it works with the high beam and low beam is headlight its bright but kinda of blinks at an idle but when you rev it or ride it it goes dim then out