Picking up a 14 tmmrw....few questions

Ok I will be grabbing a 14 tmmrw, but I wanted to double check to see what all should come with the bike.  Do they include the couplers, manual, tool kit...? I already ordered the fac pro detent arm and the 450 oem spring.  Also have an Acerbis skidplate on its way, anything else I need for mx?  I wish the bike came with Bridgestones instead of the Dunlops, they do atleast on the 450.

Yes, bike comes with couplers, Manuel, and a receipt lol.. no tool kit. Thumbs up on the factory pro arm and spring. Yeah I agree about the tires, DUNLOPS SUCK

Thanks slowdogs.  Hey I bought the cheaper of the two detent arms; didn't think I'd need the ceramic coated bearings, is that the one you got?  Also Im going with the oem 450 spring, that's what you went with correct? 

Thanks slowdogs. Hey I bought the cheaper of the two detent arms; didn't think I'd need the ceramic coated bearings, is that the one you got? Also Im going with the oem 450 spring, that's what you went with correct?

that's it partner.. you purchased the same set up that I'm running! You'll love it. Shifts are so positive now

Thanks slowdogs.  Got the bike home yesterday after a long day of driving.

Im just waiting on parts now....should have her at the track next weekend.

unnamed1.jpg

Man, that thing looks sexy.. its a HONDA KILLER for sure

Is it weird that I got turned on when I seen that pic? LOL Nice looking bike, I sometimes want to pull the plug on a brand new one but don't ride enough to justify it.

I hear ya Holeshot. This is my first brand new bike so its been a long time coming.  Plus I just don't see any used newer Rmz250's for sale and who know how they've been ran and treated? So I opted for a new one.  Got one question, I want to get a Hammerhead +10mm shifter, can I get just the tip or do I need to buy the whole shifter?

Yes, bike comes with couplers, Manuel, and a receipt lol.. no tool kit. Thumbs up on the factory pro arm and spring. Yeah I agree about the tires, DUNLOPS SUCK

What's a factory pro arm? Is that like a better swing arm or somethin?

I hear ya Holeshot. This is my first brand new bike so its been a long time coming. Plus I just don't see any used newer Rmz250's for sale and who know how they've been ran and treated? So I opted for a new one. Got one question, I want to get a Hammerhead +10mm shifter, can I get just the tip or do I need to buy the whole shifter?

gotta buy whole assembly.. then you can switch out tips

I envy you. I wouldn't worry too much about the detent arm yet. Put an aftermarket shifter on it. I would like to stress that the issues people are having are somewhat isolated. The majority of people don't have that problem. If you can shift a motorcycle correctly you won't damage the transmission. It's that simple. There are tons of people who round the gear dogs off on yz's, crf's and kx.

He just spent 8,000 on a new bike. 52.00 for a mod seems like a pretty cheap insurance policy. Better safe than sorry on this one.

I also just picked up a new RMZ. I'll be doing my first ride this weekend. Where can I pick one of those arms up at? And sorry to start a new topic here but I've searched the forum and haven't found anything, but when I cranked my bike for the first time the other night it kind of puffs smoke when I rev it. I swapped to the lean connector and it still does it. Is this something all bikes do when new and not broken in?

It may puff whit on startup. Its excess fuel. Once it warms up,it shouldnt do it though

Kelso- mine did that too and it stopped shortly. Must be oil and whatnot burning off. I got a great deal on thr bike, $6481 otd but had to drive 5 hrs to get it. Got all my parts but i forgot to order the clutch holding tool

Where did you order the parts from? And have you put any hours on yours yet

We just got a leftover 2013 and it puffed a little blue smoke on cold start up . At 4-5 hours it  cleared up  after the rings seated. Just keep running conventional oil till it seats the rings.

Kelso- I ordered the detent arm from factory pro, theres a thread about it. Also ordered the oem 450 detent spring and some other stuff like skid plate, backgrounds, ur meter and the hammerhead +10mm shifter.  I got it together and noticed 2 things: 1. The Facotry pro arm looks to be based on a stock arm with a new roller bearing wheel.  2. The 450 spring is much more stronger and somewhat tough to get in. Does anyone know of a good way to torque the clutch basket without a clutch holding tool?  I ordered the tool but it wont be here until either sat or mon. I may go pick one up at the local shop if they have it.  I like the EBC ones, they are like a clutch disk with a big handle and fit perfect but they are machine specific...my Honda ones wont work.

Yea you can put the bike in gear and press the rear brake lever down and zip tie it or wedge it with a long screw driver. That'll help keep from putting pressure on the gears.

Finally got some time on the new bike today. Very pleased! Suspension was great even in stock settings, and power was very good and useable. Overall the bike was very confidence inspiring, even in the muddy conditions we had here this weekend. The only complaint I have is with the shifter, but that may be my fault. I'm the stock position I was struggling getting my boot under the shifter. I moved it up a few splines but that just made the 1st-2nd shift difficult and sometimes a missed shift would occur. But only from first to second no other gear. Is this the issue that the arm and spring is for? Or the 10+ shifter? Or both lol. Bit like I said it may have just been my fault bc the shift travel was further after I moved it up.