Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF250r wont start.

2009 CRF250r. Would start under full throttle and run for a second before. Now it wont start. Valves all in spec. New sparkplug, producing spark when I check. If I kick, the bike will eventually give a little sputter like it wants to start. Ive swapped a carb from a good running 06 250r, and it made no difference. TPS unplugged, really don't think its a carb issue. Timing is dead on through both case ports and cam marks. About ready to give up on the P.O.S. Any help would be appreciated

Will it bump start? Did you have the engine apart or did it just quit starting out of the blue?

you check to see if your kill switch is stuck? Had that happen to me before on two occasions. Once it wouldnt let it start and the other being it wouldnt shut it off.

Hey boon docker pull your oil filter cover and see if it looks normal or maybe a lot of brass shavings if so it's the rod bearing seized , was it running fine last time you rode it or did something happen and you brought it home now it won't crank? Been there done that , just a suggestion

Probably your valves. Just because they're in spec doesn't mean they're good. Basically any crf250r problem is valves.

Plugged pilot jet.

He said he swapped the carb and it still didn't work, so it can't be the jet

He said he swapped the carb and it still didn't work, so it can't be the jet

So 2 carbs can't have plugged pilot jets? You never know, man... easy thing to check. Sounds like valves or cam timing too. Or a bad plug. Edited by Eddie8v

So 2 carbs can't have plugged pilot jets? You never know, man... easy thing to check.

Came out of a "running" bike. But yeah, always one more thing to consider

Came out of a "running" bike. But yeah, always one more thing to consider

I saw that, but if he has a dirty flow of fuel into the "good" carb it'll plug the pilot immediately. Yank the petcock and check to see if the fuel screen is intact. Remove and check the original carb's bowl for contaminants. Easy to do. Edited by Eddie8v