Oversize front brake rotor and opinions?

Well bud if you gotta 450 I'd get the bigger one....but to go too big with it these bikes are better with good brakes sometimes but the bigger the brake the more weight. Also the bigger the disk the more debris it will collect. It also depends on your riding conditions.

~Yz426F&Crf250R~

Did that help with your decision???

If not I can explain further

~Yz426F&Crf250R~

i just installed the tusk 270 over sized on my 06. Took it up the road and it felt really nice, there was more bite under hard stops  but a smoother feeling through the pull. If i get a chance to ride on dirt some time soon i can tell you more. overall it seems like a good upgraded that for once has some real value. 

Edited by ekulb14
  • Like 1

I'm not the braking expert, but I have been testing some Galfer products and will have the write up soon on my experience. Its a lot more then just a oversized braking kit.... IMO, buy a MC rebuild kit and a steel braided brake line. Try that first and report back. Your brakes will be twice as good as what your used too. If you still want more then splurge on the oversized kit. I wouldn't go to a 280 kit, its a lot of braking power.....

These are some of the questions that you have to look at when braking. I have spent a lot of time between phone calls and emails with Galfer and this was exactly what they asked me before recommending my setup....

Are you a 2 finger or 1 finger braker?

Do you use a aftermarket lever or stock?

Do you want instant braking or progressive braking?

Do you want performance or durability?

I'm not the braking expert, but I have been testing some Galfer products and will have the write up soon on my experience. Its a lot more then just a oversized braking kit.... IMO, buy a MC rebuild kit and a steel braided brake line. Try that first and report back. Your brakes will be twice as good as what your used too. If you still want more then splurge on the oversized kit. I wouldn't go to a 280 kit, its a lot of braking power.....

These are some of the questions that you have to look at when braking. I have spent a lot of time between phone calls and emails with Galfer and this was exactly what they asked me before recommending my setup....

Are you a 2 finger or 1 finger braker?

Do you use a aftermarket lever or stock?

Do you want instant braking or progressive braking?

Do you want performance or durability?

yeah breaks agent really the bikes so much as what the rider likes make a checklist before you order and rotors or pads

I've tried most and I really like the EBC oversized contour kit.  At $180 it's cheaper than most (except the Tusk which is also a pretty good kit for the money) plus the bracket is anodized blue which looks cool.

Whichever kit you buy make sure you Locktite the slide pin that threads into the bracket!  They have a way of coming loose and the results are not good.

photo-57.jpg

Larger rotors are a simple improvement in leverage.  The brake/wheel relationship amounts to a 3rd class lever, and an oversize rotor is exactly the same as a longer handle on a lever.  IMO, it is the single most effective way to up the braking power. 

Other factors bear on the matter, though.  Lining material for one.  The use of pads from a compatible year CRF450 has been a long time trick for Yamaha riders looking for more stopping power.  The CRF also uses a master cylinder/lever combo with a slightly smaller bore, which gives more pressure at the caliper, and a compound linkage that amplifies apply pressure.  Search around the site for more specific info on which one fits an '09.

Stainless braided lines will only help if the OEM hose has an excessive tendency to bulge under pressure.  While that was certainly a problem for the pre-'05 bikes with the long route hoses they had, it hasn't been a real problem for Yamahas since they went to the "Honda Style" hose routing that year.  It will still help, but not as much as it once did, and I don't consider it a big "bang for the buck" item. 

Rotor material is also a factor.  OEM rotors are stainless steel.  Carbon steel is used in many of the aftermarket rotors, both standard and oversize, and develops more friction than stainless with most pads.  Of course, it does rust.

Larger rotors are a simple improvement in leverage. The brake/wheel relationship amounts to a 3rd class lever, and an oversize rotor is exactly the same as a longer handle on a lever. IMO, it is the single most effective way to up the braking power.

Other factors bear on the matter, though. Lining material for one. The use of pads from a compatible year CRF450 has been a long time trick for Yamaha riders looking for more stopping power. The CRF also uses a master cylinder/lever combo with a slightly smaller bore, which gives more pressure at the caliper, and a compound linkage that amplifies apply pressure. Search around the site for more specific info on which one fits an '09.

Stainless braided lines will only help if the OEM hose has an excessive tendency to bulge under pressure. While that was certainly a problem for the pre-'05 bikes with the long route hoses they had, it hasn't been a real problem for Yamahas since they went to the "Honda Style" hose routing that year. It will still help, but not as much as it once did, and I don't consider it a big "bang for the buck" item.

Rotor material is also a factor. OEM rotors are stainless steel. Carbon steel is used in many of the aftermarket rotors, both standard and oversize, and develops more friction than stainless with most pads. Of course, it does rust.

yeah the factory crf rotors wear uneven if tge get debris because of the pressure they have. Sometimes on my yzs the rotors wear uneven. But a simple switch helps. I've always used EBC but I honestly don't know whos the best. Any ideas?

We've tested nearly all brands of pads and found the honda pads to be the best. $ for $ they are the best, there are a few really high dollar pads that are slightly better but we use honda pads on our race bikes.

Of course a larger rotor will make a big difference too. The galfer and braking kits are the best but the tusk kit is great for the $.