Sign in to follow this  

Larger grip recommendation

Have any of you guys installed larger hand grips? I just took my first ride and they feel a bit smaller than I'm used to..

Yea the stock grips are junk, any aftermarket grip will be an upgrade.  I also like the protaper pillow tops, they are sweet, feel great, and have a tad bigger feeling than the stock grips.

• Like 1

yeah, absolute rubbish, worst part on the bike. Odd shiny plastic/rubber stuff. Maybe they're what they use on some scooterbike. 

• Like 2

Do all of the above ones for on the sock bar?

Yes. Almost all bars are 7/8" in dia. where the grip fits. There are larger dia. bars, but usually made for Harleys etc..

Personally, I can't stand pillow-top grips. Found them no more comfy than stock, plus they're flimsy and rip easily.

The Progrip 714's actually help reduce vibration and fit bigger hands better.

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1

I have a set of grip puppies fitted over my stock grips on my GS. They are mainly for touring comfort, however, they fit all bikes (with a regular sized grip). I guess they wouldn't be smart on a dirt bike as they will tear if caught on rocks etc however no probs for commuting. They are superb on my GS though!!

http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk

oh, and I have pillow tops on the CRF...they're lurvely!

Edited by dturk

What is the purpose of the "wire" groves on the 714's? Why would you want wire on you grips..?

What is the purpose of the "wire" groves on the 714's? Why would you want wire on you grips..?

It is grip wire ... real thin and is there to keep them from slipping .... all the racers do it ... I don't think we need to ... we can always shoot some super glue up in there when we get home ... but a racer or long adventure traveler might want it.

it's safety wire, same thing used for safety-wiring bolts.  you can get grip glue, but i've never needed it and i don't know why the racers don't just use it. maybe some of them do. 

PS: they say the pillow-top grips get sticky in the sun. (you know, that big round hot thing in the sky, that you see in the south.)  :D

• Like 1

Annoying sticky or just a bit tacky? I like the idea of bigger more push grips and so far the pillow tops are winning my search

Annoying sticky or just a bit tacky? I like the idea of bigger more push grips and so far the pillow tops are winning my search

just a little tacky ... I like it tho ... but I have always liked grippy grips ...  :thumbsup:

If it was on a street bike it would be annoying ... pillow tops are off road grips. 

I also spend a lot of time on the street too .. they are cheap enough that if you do not like them you can always switch them out for something else. 

Perfect. I'll order some too. Do you need grip glue for them (or hairspray...) or good enough on their own? Just need to build up ages more parts to get free shipping ;)

I ride with gloves and like the pillow tops since a death grip isn't required.  They help me with some hand numbness issues also.

• Like 2

Perfect. I'll order some too. Do you need grip glue for them (or hairspray...) or good enough on their own? Just need to build up ages more parts to get free shipping ;)

mine were put on with spray paint ... the left will slip when it is above 95 out so I need to inject super glue or do the grip wire thing or both ...  :thinking:

My pillow tops arent sticky.  Maybe just a slight tacky/grippy feel, but I quite like it.  I suppose if you let them sit in the sun a lot maybe they might get a little sticky?  I wear gloves most of the time unless im just going for a quick ride around town or taking the bike to the car wash.  I think keeping them clean helps too.  When I take my bike to the car wash I hit the grips with the pressure washer, it gets the grime and discoloration off from wearing gloves on them.

I did glue mine on the stock bars because the clutch side on the bars is just smooth.  Now I cant remember if I glued the throttle side or not.  The stock throttle tube has all kinds of bumps and nubs molded into it, and the stock grip is molded to fit over all of these things, so I sanded the throttle tube mostly smooth with a dremel tool.  I suppose if you left enough of the nubs sticking up and didnt sand them totally smooth you could get away with no glue on the throttle tube.  I really hate gluing things, but I hate grips moving around even more.  I just got a new set of Pro Taper Contour bars and the clutch side is knurled/textured, so I think you could get away with no glue, which I like.

• Like 2

I found if you clean the bar with rubbing alcohol, clean the inside of the grip with it and install it while slightly damp they slide right on and will move for a few hours.  After a day they stick like glue.  If I have one that spins a little paint does the trick.  Either way I can remove and reinstall the grips if needed.

• Like 3

I like Scotts half waffle. I use hair stray to make them stick and wire to keep them safe. Grips are cheep. So is the wire. Loose grips suck !

• Like 2

PM me your address and I'll send you a pair of 714's for free- No bs.

A friend of mine recently closed up shop and I acquired half a dozen pairs for cheap.

If you don't like them, no loss on your part & could possibly help you narrow your quest for the perfect grip.

As M/C riders, all our ergonomic riding needs are entirely personal-  That's why there's  such a broad diversity when it comes to bars & control products.

Edited by humbug
  • Like 3