Bikes for me and wifey: both newbs

Well I have some time riding but nothing to serious.

So me and wifey want to get into a couple play bikes. We've always been into 4x4ing and I've owned multiple jeeps, toyotas and suzukis over the years, but I have always secrectly been jealous of the 2 wheelers and enough is enough.

Wife is 5'6'' 120#, I'm 6'2'' 190#

She is pretty much settled on the kawasaki klx140L, she sat on it and instantly fell in love, and she is stubborn, so there is no convincing her otherwise. Which is fine, she is giving me the go ahead to buy new bikes so I'm not going to convince her otherwise. Reviews on the klr140l are mostly positive and I'm sure it will give us years of good times.

I'm pretty much settled on the honda 2014 crf230

So my questions to the experts here, knowing most of my knowledge is from the Internet. Are these bikes good starter rigs for wifey and me?? We will be riding FSRs and easy single track in the Pacific Northwest. I'm worried I may 'out grow' the honda and one day I'd like to get into hare scrambles. Can the crf230 be raced?? Or handle race type riding??

The 230 will be very, very cramped for someone of your height. You'd be much better off finding a decent condition XR400 or XR250. Dont let the tag "400" scare you off. They are some of the most well mannered bikes you can come across.

Edited by motonack

Well I have some time riding but nothing to serious.

So me and wifey want to get into a couple play bikes. We've always been into 4x4ing and I've owned multiple jeeps, toyotas and suzukis over the years, but I have always secrectly been jealous of the 2 wheelers and enough is enough.

Wife is 5'6'' 120#, I'm 6'2'' 190#

She is pretty much settled on the kawasaki klx140L, she sat on it and instantly fell in love, and she is stubborn, so there is no convincing her otherwise. Which is fine, she is giving me the go ahead to buy new bikes so I'm not going to convince her otherwise. Reviews on the klr140l are mostly positive and I'm sure it will give us years of good times.

I'm pretty much settled on the honda 2014 crf230

So my questions to the experts here, knowing most of my knowledge is from the Internet. Are these bikes good starter rigs for wifey and me?? We will be riding FSRs and easy single track in the Pacific Northwest. I'm worried I may 'out grow' the honda and one day I'd like to get into hare scrambles. Can the crf230 be raced?? Or handle race type riding??

The 140L will be fine for your wife....the 230....um, yeah, not really a race bike. It has crappy suspension and is VERY heavy. If you want a do it all bike, that is brand new, there are a few out there, depends on your willingness and learning curve. The KTM 200 (exc, xc, there are so many models) model of your choice is a pretty good bike. Another pretty good option would be the Honda 250X, good bike, made to (kinda) do it all. The Euro bikes are really where it's at for trail riding, and most are more than capable of racing. The new Jap bikes are a little lacking in the trail parts, the CRF250X is probably the best of the small 4t bikes right now. You could get a Yamaha YZ250 (2T) and put a fly wheel weight on it along with guards and braces for the trails., I hear the suspention on those is great, but it's not really a trail bike.

XR400 for you gets my vote. It's a very docile bike. You could go with something like a KTM300 or a DRZ400 if you want an e-start.

XR400 for you gets my vote. It's a very docile bike. You could go with something like a KTM300 or a DRZ400 if you want an e-start.

A 300 2 stroke?? I don't think a newb rider needs that kinda power at disposal. 

A 300 2 stroke?? I don't think a newb rider needs that kinda power at disposal. 

I was more focused on the torque and ease of maintenance. Those 300s have a good bit of low end and can be mellow if the rider respects the throttle (as with any motorcycle).

a KDX200 or 220 would be a good choice as well. great trail bike and is well suited for beginners.

Get the XR400. Docile when you want it to be, but can go as fast as you want and will pretty much go over, around, and through any terrain you may encounter. Not to mention that they are the most reliable bikes ever made. 

Cfr 230 is a great choice, low maintenance, reliable, if you think you need a bigger bike in a couple of years get one but in the mean time have fun on the honda 230.

The KDX 200/220 for him and a KTM 105 for her, mine has the 85XC as she is short. They each run 32-1 so one fuel can covers it.

jerihco.jpg

Edited by slideleft

Thanks everyone.

I found a yamaha yz450f for a good price. But my main concern buying a race bike is the extra maintenance involved. 5 hour oil changes, eek, I plan on doing week long outings. 80 hour top ends, double eek!! I'm not worried about doing the work(I'm a marine engineer by trade and work on 20 cylinder engines) I just don't want to rebuild the engine 3 times a year. I'll keep a look out for a xr400 but pickings are slim on CL this time of year.

Thanks again.

If you are new to this I'd pass on that 450f. IMO I think the 450 motocross bikes not good for a beginner. They want to go fast! And the stiff suspension will beat you to death. A WR450 would be a better call if you're looking for a 450 water cooled bike. The WR, XR and KDX are all great bikes that are easier to ride slow, but will also go as fast as you want to go.

Oh sorry it is a 250f not 450, my bad

250f even worse. High strung high maintenance bikes. WR250, TT-R 230/250, CRF230, XR250/400, KDX200/220....all wayyyyy better options. Just my .02. Like others with more than likely say....I wouldn't touch a used 250f with a ten foot pole. 

The CRF 230F is an excellent "first" bike for most guys.. they are bullet proof, very reliable, dependable, and fun to ride.  

Your wife will love the klx 140L.. 

Both great choices. 

Yamaha would be the only 250F I would reccomend for your app as I love 230's, built and raced one. The 230 chassis is smaller and the suspension can get upgraded with minamal investment but for your size a full size bike would be better and yzf 250's are the best suspended, reliable and least powerful 250f's and as long as you don't mind kick starting your bike should be a decent choice @ your size imop :-)

Edited by RCN4HIM

At 6'2/190 you'd be way too big for the CRF230......I agree with 6Riders and would steer you towards the CRF250X.  The 250X is a fairly mild bike in stock form with tons of potential for more power with simple mods.  That bike will be good for you in the beginning and will be sufficient enough for beginner hare scrambles.  Plus the 250X will hold its resale value better than the 230.  I think your wife will be fine on the 140L though. 

WRF250 is a nice choice. I'm sure you'd love em. I've heard nothing bad about them and they look sweet.

Ok, wife is buying the klx140l, paper work is pretty much done on that. Even booked her some private lessons at the MX track(she has only ridden 2-3 times in her life)

Ok, I'm still on the hunt. I would prefer a 4t but it seems I can get a 2t for a lot less, and get more of a bike...

I test rode a '95 cr125 with a recent overhaul but needing a new chain, fr sprocket and silencer and I rode a 97' cr250 with a new engine rebuild but it needs swing arm bearings. The 125 is small on me but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The cr250 size wise was perfect, I felt very comfortable on it. Snappy power, oh my god!!

So, currently I think my riding skills are below what is required to fully enjoy the 250 and size wise I don't think I'll be happy in the long run with a 125. So should I suck it up and get the 250 or continue looking for something with the ergos of a 250 but with less power?? I could detune the 250 until I'm more comfortable with the bike...thoughts??

Get the 250 and tune it down. Up one on the pilot jet, up two on the main jet, and use 1 step richer needle.