Sign in to follow this  

quick turn throttle for crappy regrip

04 yz450f, old guy, motocross for about 10 months. No prior dirt riding. I have a problem with wrist angle and regrip. As  I find myself going faster i've run into times i should have regripped to grab more throttle and times I regripped for more throttle then kept too much. Thought about a quick turn throttle but wondered about the sensitivity in tight areas like arenacross. My question is new throttle tube or suck it up till I get the regrip thing down?

Even if that did work you'd just be masking the problem not fixing it. Not sure about MX but in any other discipline that eventually comes back and gets ya

Perhaps a different bend bar would be more comfortable for you.

I've tried a couple different bends. Currently have Windham's. Im 6'3". Guess y'all are right. Probably just need to figure it out rather than bandaid it.

I like to make a conscious effort at relaxing my grip when riding my MTB and rower on the return stroke

I feel it translates into MX

Also keeping a relaxed grip rids arm pump

I have this problem to......I just loosen the throttle assembly and rotate it forward as far as it will go without interfering with brake....better than spending 70 beans.

I have this problem to......I just loosen the throttle assembly and rotate it forward as far as it will go without interfering with brake....better than spending 70 beans.

.....I fail to see how this helps since hand position negates the forward shift.

You said you where having problem getting to wide open throttle I think.

By rotating the throttle assembly clock wise your going to put your hand on the grip in positions to shorten the rotation of your wrists because the tube is shorter for rotation by where your gripping the throttle it changes your grip point in the rotation.

Orientation of the throttle housing in relation to the bar makes no difference, the profile of the cam does. You might want to look into something like G2 cams or a throttle tube with a different profile cable pull. Searching will likely tell you more than I can about that junk.

Most fast guys will tell you to overgrip the throttle because you shouldn't have to chicken wing it at WFO. You should be able to train yourself to deal with the stock pull ratio. If you make the universal "pin it to win it" signal and it resembles the same position you assume while riding then you should probably rotate your grip on the throttle a bit farther forward.

Sometimes keeping a finger on the brake lever helps too.