Sign in to follow this  

m22 bolt rear axle nut stuck?

hows it going everyone,

got some new mx51's for my 08 crf250r and i was trying to remove the rear axel nut but it is some kind of locking nut? did a google search  and found its an m22 bolt locking nut and washer, standard 32mm but i just dont know how to crack it and its driving me insane.

any advice helps cause im keen for a ride

I've got an 05 crf250r and I'm assuming the rear axle bolt an nut are the same.

I got a really big 1-1/4" open/boxed end wrench which fit's the nut perfectly.

The actual axle bolt should not be able to spin since the head is fixed in the adjustment block on the left side looking from the back of the bike.

I do normally loosen the nut while the bike is on the ground, then but on the stand.

Can you post a pic?

Edited by filterx

What he said. A few years back I had one seize up and couldn't get it off. I ended up using a small grinder, and had to grind off the nut. Bought a new one, and I always use anti seize now.

Yeah I get what the nut look's like..

If you have a socket on a wrench, add a pipe so you can get some leverage on it.

Otherwise Maybe try to gently heat it or try what j368 said.

What he said. A few years back I had one seize up and couldn't get it off. I ended up using a small grinder, and had to grind off the nut. Bought a new one, and I always use anti seize now.

Antiseize works well for this stuff. I use it on chain adjusters bc steel bolts in aluminum threads cause issues.

Not to stray the topic, but I use thread lock on my triple clamp bolts. Some guys use antiseize. The thread lock acts as a buffer between the steel and aluminum. On my old Gasser I didn't use anything on the triple clamps, and one of the bolts seized itself in there. Literally had to break out the 1/2" ratchet to strip out the bolt; wut amazed me was the tclamp threads were perfect and the bolt threads were stripped smooth!!

Thank you, God--I'll take it.

Put a little heat to the nut itself. Not the axle. The heat causes the nut to expand. You need to work quick in some cases because the heat will soak into the axle if your not quick. Just loosen that nut like usual. Left loosey righty tighty :)