Sign in to follow this  

Can you buy new frames?

I look at motosport and they have every OEM part except the frames. I really want to get a newer(09-12 or 13-14) CRF450R frame so i can build and put my 2002 crf motor in it. Thanks for your time. Negativity welcome.

You can buy new frames. But it will take a lot of work and money to mount your 02 motor in it....

Probably be cheaper to buy a new bike....

I look at motosport and they have every OEM part except the frames. I really want to get a newer(09-12 or 13-14) CRF450R frame so i can build and put my 2002 crf motor in it. Thanks for your time. Negativity welcome.

Im just curious as to why youd even think of putting an 02 crf motor in a new frame. To me, its a wasted build both in time and money.

• Like 1

I'd find a blown up bike.

Use its frame. God knows there's plenty out there.

• Like 2

Waste of time and money.

If you want to do it 'just because', then find a frame from a bike being parted out. You can buy brand new from a dealer but it is very, very expensive.

The 02-07 CR250 frame geometry is better than the 09-14 crf450 frame geometry.

• Like 1

You cannot buy a new Honda frame or left side case unless you provide the chassis and engine serial numbers of the parts you are replacing. I know this from recent experience trying to buy a new set of CR500 cases--Service Honda would sell me any part of the engine except the left side case, because I didn't have a set of serial numbers from a bike that they were to replace. (And after two weeks of trying, I gave up asking 500 owners to "lend" me their serial numbers so I could comply and get the pieces--ended up buying used cases). 

I had two lengthy conversations with Pooh from Service Honda, who told me this was due to Honda's security practices, which presumably keep a person from buying a new frame or left side case to change the identity of a stolen bike by getting new serial numbers. Makes sense to me for a $10,000 street bike, but seems stupid and overkill for 20 year old dirt bike parts.

Edited by plynn41
  • Like 1

Dude, the 02 is a much much much! More aggresive motor than the 14s, trust me on that one. And it would be no harder than a cr500af conversion. I have a buddy thatll do it for $500, and he does good work.

The 02-07 CR250 frame geometry is better than the 09-14 crf450 frame geometry.

I agree. I much prefer the handling characteristics of my CR over my CRF.

You cannot buy a new Honda frame or left side case unless you provide the chassis and engine serial numbers of the parts you are replacing. I know this from recent experience trying to buy a new set of CR500 cases--Service Honda would sell me any part of the engine except the left side case, because I didn't have a set of serial numbers from a bike that they were to replace. (And after two weeks of trying, I gave up asking 500 owners to "lend" me their serial numbers so I could comply and get the pieces--ended up buying used cases). 

I had two lengthy conversations with Pooh from Service Honda, who told me this was due to Honda's security practices, which presumably keep a person from buying a new frame or left side case to change the identity of a stolen bike by getting new serial numbers. Makes sense to me for a $10,000 street bike, but seems stupid and overkill for 20 year old dirt bike parts.

Not the case at all.  I have bought both case halves for my 2003 cr250.  You can order them for your 500 right here:  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2000/CR500R+A/CRANKCASE/parts.html

And you can buy a new frame right here if you really wanted:  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2012/CRF450R+AC/FRAME/parts.html

Not the case at all.  I have bought both case halves for my 2003 cr250.  You can order them for your 500 right here:  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2000/CR500R+A/CRANKCASE/parts.html

And you can buy a new frame right here if you really wanted:  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2012/CRF450R+AC/FRAME/parts.html

But did you provide them with serial numbers in order to purchase your left side case? I didn't have any serial numbers to provide because mine was a custom built bike.

If they sold the left side case to you without you providing any documentation, then Service Honda just lost me for a customer, and I have spent thousands there over the last few years.

But did you provide them with serial numbers in order to purchase your left side case? I didn't have any serial numbers to provide because mine was a custom built bike.

If they sold the left side case to you without you providing any documentation, then Service Honda just lost me for a customer, and I have spent thousands there over the last few years.

Nope, I ordered it online without ever speaking to anyone.  They are full of it.

Ive run into this before.... seems if they are an actual Honda dealershp they have to follow the rules to maintain their contract. Warehouse distributors that sell OEM parts don't have to or seem to care about following these rules.