2 Stroke Oil reviews/comparisons ?

I just bought an 05' 300 EXC and it's my first 2 stroke in a long time.  I don't want to start an oil debate, but there seems to be a lot of different oils to choose from.  Does anybody know of any reviews that compares different brands of 2 cycle oil?

How do riders decide?

( And yes, I'm having a bit of sticker shock seeing $20+ per quart of oil.  )

I get the cheapest oil I can get. I got a bottle (5 liter) of motul 710 on eBay for 45$. Use a good name brand, hell I've used outboard oil many times. My dads rm 250 has gone 3 years on Walmart brand outboard oil. He has put 165 hours on his rm 250. He just did a top end, and it looked great. The biggest thing to keep up on for a long lasting motor is your air filter, and good jetting. Dosent really matter what 2 stroke oil you use.

I agree that it is silly to spend absurd amounts on smoker oil. Mix yamalube 2r or Lucus at 40:1. Both can be purchased at less than $10 per quart.

I've been using Amsoil for years. Parts are super clean and the power valve never gums up. I never deviate from 32:1 however. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

Edited by Lehiguy

+1 on amsoil. I've been running amsoil interceptor at 44:1 in my 250exc for about 2 years with great luck, and burns very clean at trail speeds, and it's fairly cheap at about 8.99 a quart at any napa in my area.

I agree with a clean filter and good jetting. I like amsoil and yamalube, I have used benol but it is high.

I raced desert and enduros through the 90's, used Yamalube R, now it is Yamalube 2R, with no failures. Lots of miles, I have faith in it. Really, any quality 2 stroke oil will work fine, choice is yours, may depend on what is available locally or what your buddies use. 

I've used klotz supertechniplate for the last couple of years, never had any problems.

I've been using Amsoil for years. Parts are super clean and the power valve never gums up. I never deviate from 32:1 however. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

I think the "oil is cheap, engines are not" saying is outdated.  Many people purchase oils that are over twice the price of the yamalube 2r I've been using, and the price difference adds up pretty quickly over the season to equal or exceed parts.  Engine parts for a 2 stroke ARE cheap, and the prices have remained relatively stable for years.  Even if the expensive oils are actually better than yamalube (or amsoil, lucas, etc.), and I seriously doubt they are, it probably does not make economic sense to use them.  Some of these oils are so expensive, they would probably have to double the life of your top-end to pay off.  Is anybody out there putting an extra race season on their top-end because of some fancy oil?

IMO, find a good quality synthetic oil the is accessible to you and stick with it

What biggins said.

i've been through a 6-8 gallons of lucas since switching over from amsoil and am very happy with it.  they order the gallons for me at oreilly auto. it's there the next day. $27 a gallon is hard to beat.  can't find amsoil locally anymore. 

If it's castor based I buy it. I like how it smells.

Yea, there is the smell thing.  Just about any smoker oil smells better than yamalube 2r.  It has a distinct "burnt plastic" smell.  But as long as you are leading the pack...

Caster makes a mess of the power valves....I won't touch it.

Good to hear so many of you are happy using affordable oils. 

I'm curious why a number of folks use a richer fuel/oil ratios than KTM calls for.   The manual calls for 40:1 - 60:1, which seems like a wide range.  Why would you want to go richer than 40:1?  I'd think too much oil will lead to excessive carbon deposits and maybe incomplete combustion. 

Good to hear so many of you are happy using affordable oils. 

I'm curious why a number of folks use a richer fuel/oil ratios than KTM calls for.   The manual calls for 40:1 - 60:1, which seems like a wide range.  Why would you want to go richer than 40:1?  I'd think too much oil will lead to excessive carbon deposits and maybe incomplete combustion. 

For dunes or MX where there's lots of full throttle riding. I use 50:1 for slow single track trail riding and 40:1 for fast open flowing quad trails where speed/RPMs are up. 

50:1 mixture in the woods.

I run 75% Lucas with 25% benol...just because I like the way it smells.

I ran my 250sx for two years, and when I tore it down it was still perfect, no crud on power valves either.