Sign in to follow this  

2008 crf450x, squished radiator

Guys, picked u this bike today, 130 hours, has a squished non leaking left side radiator, just wondering if the R model and what years fit this bike, as seems to be more aftermarket radiators for the R model on Ebay etc...

Any issues to look at with 130 hours?

bike was 1 owner. I just stepped off a 04 WRF450.

Cheers from New Zealand.

In regards to the rad, check this out:

It may not be as hopeless as you think<g>.

As far as what to check, you want to pop the valve cover and check the valve clearances.  I'd also think about doing the piston and rings if you don't know when last done and how the bike was ridden.

Jim.

Guys, picked u this bike today, 130 hours, has a squished non leaking left side radiator, just wondering if the R model and what years fit this bike, as seems to be more aftermarket radiators for the R model on Ebay etc...

Negative on the R left side, the X model is  much larger for increased capacity.

You can pick up a set of oversize chinese radiators for about $80 a pair on ebay, They are actually rather well made for the price & will get you outta trouble, Or you can pay around $300 - $500 each probably for OEM Honda radiators if the prices over there are as ridiculous as our Australian prices
I am running a set of the chinese radiators on my 450X, Been on there for a few months now with no trouble, They will break & bend just the same or they may even be stronger than OEM due to the thickness but @ $40 each compared to hundreds who cares if you damage one
I can get you some links if you like?

Edited by CRF450XINOZ
  • Like 2

Yeah, the china rads on ebay are a good buy.  I've used them for a long time and they're well made for the price.  Put some Mohard radiator guards on the bike to go along with them, and your radiator troubles will be behind ya.

• Like 1

I also have the $80 ebay radiators. They are bigger and no issues here either. Only think it doesn't have is the bung threads to hook up a radiator fan if you ever want to.

thanks, i ordered just the left one off ebay last night.

I have in fact used these on a YZF250 with no problems.

Only other issue with the bike is a leaking counter shaft seal now and then, not quite sure if it's the inner bush or outer bush seal at present, I wiped it with a rag and checked the inner ring and seems ok, not leaking again ... yet.

You guys ever fitted o'rings or quad rings to the inner bush part?

thanks, i ordered just the left one off ebay last night.

I have in fact used these on a YZF250 with no problems.

Only other issue with the bike is a leaking counter shaft seal now and then, not quite sure if it's the inner bush or outer bush seal at present, I wiped it with a rag and checked the inner ring and seems ok, not leaking again ... yet.

You guys ever fitted o'rings or quad rings to the inner bush part?

I'd order and replace both the seal and D-ring as well as the collar. It only takes about 10 minutes, just remember to put the seal in the freezer for 15 min before doing the work and make sure not to scratch/gouge the case around the seal when removing the old seal. Also put some grease on the inner D-ring before sliding it back on over the splined shaft (so it doesn't tear).

You can pick up a set of oversize chinese radiators for about $80 a pair on ebay, They are actually rather well made for the price & will get you outta trouble, Or you can pay around $300 - $500 each probably for OEM Honda radiators if the prices over there are as ridiculous as our Australian prices

I am running a set of the chinese radiators on my 450X, Been on there for a few months now with no trouble, They will break & bend just the same or they may even be stronger than OEM due to the thickness but @ $40 each compared to hundreds who cares if you damage one

I can get you some links if you like?

I've also been running these radiators after puncturing my left one on a downed tree root in a wash. Has worked great and is a fraction of the cost. The only thing I don't know about is how well radiator braces/guards will work on these.

I have used the EBay Chinese Rads.

Only problem with the left one is the lower bracket that holds the shroud. It's about a 1/2" off. Maybe I will adjust it, but for now it's a zip tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

had my first ride today, was quite impressed, bearing in mind it was 80% mud and puddles.

Seems to have power between my 04 Wr450 and my older CRF 450R model, but better suspension than the WR.

Think this is a keeper, will be great to try it in the dry, it's now Autumn here in NZ.