2 stroke 250 or 4 stroke 250?

Hey I have been asking everyone I know about which bike to get next and I still can't make up my mind..that's where you guys come in! So I learned how to ride on my 05 ttr230 for a couple months and now I'm ready to get a bigger bike. Not sure if I want to stay with a 4t but move up to a 250 or join the premix club and get a 2t 250. I've ridden at Hollister hills on trails but I want to start getting familiar with track riding. Can you guys give me your thoughts please. Thanks!

The real decision is cost, can you handle the cost of upkeep of the 4t?

If so I'd recommend the 250f.

The reason I say this is,

Too many people mine out the equipment.

Meaning that they buy it ride it till its time for major repairs and can't afford to repair it.

I see this a bunch locally.

what the guy above me said.... and they are such diff bikes... 250 2t vs 250f... wouldn't it be better to compare 250 2t vs 4504t?

The real decision is cost, can you handle the cost of upkeep of the 4t?

If so I'd recommend the 250f.

The reason I say this is,

Too many people mine out the equipment.

Meaning that they buy it ride it till its time for major repairs and can't afford to repair it.

I see this a bunch locally.

Thanks for the advice! One of the main concerns I had was if I could be able to just cruise around on a 250 2t. I've heard you have to ride them pretty hard or they can "clog up". Do you know if this is true?

what the guy above me said.... and they are such diff bikes... 250 2t vs 250f... wouldn't it be better to compare 250 2t vs 4504t?

I'm not sure I'm ready to move up to a 450 man. I want to be able to cruise around but still have the power when I want to play around.

Thanks for the advice! One of the main concerns I had was if I could be able to just cruise around on a 250 2t. I've heard you have to ride them pretty hard or they can "clog up". Do you know if this is true?

By clogging up I think you mean fouling the spark plug. Also two strokes like to be ridden hard to produce horsepower. You can't just lug around. 250 two strokes are monsters. It's no different than a 450. Don't let the displacement fool you.

Save the two stroke.

I think it would make more sense to compare a 250f to a 125 2t instead of a 250 2t. I don't know your age/weight/riding skill but a 125 or 250f would be logical next steps since you're coming from a 230. Your budget also should be a deciding factor. If you have 1000-2000 I would lean more towards a 2t just because the 250f's in that price range seem to be well worn in my area.

I'm not sure I'm ready to move up to a 450 man. I want to be able to cruise around but still have the power when I want to play around.

fair enough... i just figured if you can handle a 2t in power you  can easily handle a stock 4t except the weight maybe if your going slow

Edited by somethingnuw

By clogging up I think you mean fouling the spark plug. Also two strokes like to be ridden hard to produce horsepower. You can't just lug around. 250 two strokes are monsters. It's no different than a 450. Don't let the displacement fool you.

Save the two stroke.

yes... what he says above... having not had a mondern 2 stroke i hear the powervalves really help this... perhaps someone on here can explain that better to u... and with a 2 stroke... when your not riding it hot... like on trails just burp the gas a lot and be in the right gear... this is where IMHOP 4t excel... you can ride it in the wrong gear

Get a cr500!

It easy do you like the power of a 2t or do you like the smoother power of the 4t

Jetting on two strokes is more critical. Too lean and you'll burn up a piston. Too rich and you'll foul plugs (or 'clog up' as you say). 

Two strokes can lug around cleanly if jetted right. Luckily, two stroke carbs are very easy to rejet.

Ideally when cruising on a two stroke, you'll be in the gear that keeps you toward the bottom of the powerband, 4,000-6,000 rpm or so. It'll pull hard if needed but get good traction, work the engine less, and not bog. Seat time is the key to learning this.

Jetting on two strokes is more critical. Too lean and you'll burn up a piston. Too rich and you'll foul plugs (or 'clog up' as you say). 

Two strokes can lug around cleanly if jetted right. Luckily, two stroke carbs are very easy to rejet.

Ideally when cruising on a two stroke, you'll be in the gear that keeps you toward the bottom of the powerband, 4,000-6,000 rpm or so. It'll pull hard if needed but get good traction, work the engine less, and not bog. Seat time is the key to learning this.

Thanks dude I appreciate the info on jetting! Having heard all the opinions here I think I'm gonna get the 250f as my next bike. I don't have to mess with jetting or even with the premixing..

If you want a dirtbike buy a 2t if you want a tractor buy a 4t

Thanks dude I appreciate the info on jetting! Having heard all the opinions here I think I'm gonna get the 250f as my next bike. I don't have to mess with jetting or even with the premixing..

You'll have an easy transition then. A racing 4stroke is gonna be similar to your TT-R, just more of it. Keep on top of the oil changes and filter cleanings.

You'll have an easy transition then. A racing 4stroke is gonna be similar to your TT-R, just more of it. Keep on top of the oil changes and filter cleanings.

We'll the deal I had lined up to sell my bike fell through but this guys wants to trade my 2005 ttr 230 for his 99 ktm 250 2 stroke...u think its a good deal? I don't know much about ktm or if their older model bikes are reliable.

I wouldn't. Firstly because trades are never equal. Someone always gets the bad end of the bargain. Often people that are offering the trade are looking to unload a problem machine. It's glaring in your case when someone offers a high performance 250 in exchange for a TT-R...they are probably looking for something worth more than theirs in order to sell and then buy what they actually want. You are better off 99% of the time to sell for cash. The exceptions are when you are trading with someone known to you, for a bike you know.

In this case, your TT-R 230 is a much respected and saleable older kid/wife's bike in exchange for an ill-mannered and hard-to-get-parts-for dinosaur. KTMs really started to shine after 2004. A 99 isn't worth much and for good reason.

I have been riding for 14 years now. I have had many different size bikes. For trail riding I like all the normal bikes for different reasons but when it comes to track riding a 250 2t takes more skill to go fast and not hurt yourself. I am not suggesting they are better or worse but they do take more talent to ride on the track anyway. As you have just started riding I would suggest a 250f or a 125 to get used to track riding. To put it in perspective it is my opinion that a 450 is easier to track ride than a 250 smoker. Good luck.

ever thought of a 200 exc?

ever thought of a 200 exc?

said he wants to do some track riding. Not the best bike for that IMHO