Sign in to follow this  

09 a little to snappy

Okay, new to the crf forums. Ive been a two stroke rider and nevet owned a fuel injected four. I have an 09 crf 450 and rode it for the first time yesterday. I have one issue. The power is too, for lack of a better word, right there. No bog, instantaneous trying to pull the front tire up. Im not looking to tame the bike too much, but how and what can I do to give it a little more leway in the throttle? Rather work around the bike than work around the way I ride, but open to any suggestions.

You could play with the gearing and/or get the ecu remapped. Other than that I'd say spend some more time with the bike, you'll get used to it.

Okay, new to the crf forums. Ive been a two stroke rider and nevet owned a fuel injected four. I have an 09 crf 450 and rode it for the first time yesterday. I have one issue. The power is too, for lack of a better word, right there. No bog, instantaneous trying to pull the front tire up. Im not looking to tame the bike too much, but how and what can I do to give it a little more leway in the throttle? Rather work around the bike than work around the way I ride, but open to any suggestions.

there is a bunch going on here.

#1 eddie sisneros of sisneros speed works can remap it for you to be A LOT better its 50$

and the best 50$ you could spend. also you can request specific things, like the 09 has a gear position sensor you can ask him to soften first and second gear where your problem is likely worst.

#2 the 09 has a jumbo throttle body and butterfly valves are nonlinear the 0-30% exposes as much area as 30-100%

what happens is the 0-5% throttle movement is more like 0-15% on a flatslide. And it says BARK! GRRP! and ROMP!

#3 as a newly converted 4 stroke rider, your still have two stroke wrist, on a 2t you can close and open the throttle all you want brap, brap, rimmmm,  ding ding, aaaaaa,,, ding ding, brrraaappp lol.   NO YOU CANT DO THAT ON A 4t that throttle needs to stay open and requires smoother operation!  you cant open and close it to control your speed you kinda need to keep it open all the time (im not suggesting wfo) just still cracked through corners open it, dont wack it closed unless you want some compression braking. smooth throttle controll it takes some getting used to.   PERSONALLY I NEVER GOT TOO USED TO IT AND INSTALLED AN ADIGE APTC slipper clutch which allows me to wack the throttle shut and coast like a 2t, I love it and so does everyone i have let ride my bike. it feels more 2t esque like a 2t with the worlds widest powerband really.  But being on a 4t since 09 2ts feel really alien to me and my throttle control is way smoother.

#4 Idk what kind of riding  you do but i do it all, and i added a +11 oz flywheel i bough off a member on here for like 90$ a great improvement after the remap!

it does not hurt performance at all on the motocross track and i highly recommend it, and if you never see the motocross track id say you should go even heavier!!!

#5 dave simons choke mod is suppose to help but im not sure as i changed so many things at the same time.

also i reccomend you service your fuel filter,

and put a crf450x detent spring to protect your transmission my 09 blew up the transmission in 2012 and i had to get custom in there haha.

Edited by englertracing
  • Like 2

there is a bunch going on here.

#1 eddie sisneros of sisneros speed works can remap it for you to be A LOT better its 50$

and the best 50$ you could spend. also you can request specific things, like the 09 has a gear position sensor you can ask him to soften first and second gear where your problem is likely worst.

#2 the 09 has a jumbo throttle body and butterfly valves are nonlinear the 0-30% exposes as much area as 30-100%

what happens is the 0-5% throttle movement is more like 0-15% on a flatslide. And it says BARK! GRRP! and ROMP!

#3 as a newly converted 4 stroke rider, your still have two stroke wrist, on a 2t you can close and open the throttle all you want brap, brap, rimmmm, ding ding, aaaaaa,,, ding ding, brrraaappp lol. NO YOU CANT DO THAT ON A 4t that throttle needs to stay open and requires smoother operation! you cant open and close it to control your speed you kinda need to keep it open all the time (im not suggesting wfo) just still cracked through corners open it, dont wack it closed unless you want some compression braking. smooth throttle controll it takes some getting used to. PERSONALLY I NEVER GOT TOO USED TO IT AND INSTALLED AN ADIGE APTC slipper clutch which allows me to wack the throttle shut and coast like a 2t, I love it and so does everyone i have let ride my bike. it feels more 2t esque like a 2t with the worlds widest powerband really. But being on a 4t since 09 2ts feel really alien to me and my throttle control is way smoother.

#4 Idk what kind of riding you do but i do it all, and i added a +11 oz flywheel i bough off a member on here for like 90$ a great improvement after the remap!

it does not hurt performance at all on the motocross track and i highly recommend it, and if you never see the motocross track id say you should go even heavier!!!

#5 dave simons choke mod is suppose to help but im not sure as i changed so many things at the same time.

also i reccomend you service your fuel filter,

and put a crf450x detent spring to protect your transmission my 09 blew up the transmission in 2012 and i had to get custom in there haha.

Well. This is exactly what I was looking for. I already put the detent spring in based upon your suggestion back when I picked the bike up. Ive thought of fww, but I dont seem to think that is the issue.

But on to everything else, sounds like quite a few things I will look into. I leisurely ride track, but im more into scrambles and such. It truly is odd switching from my 2t to a 4. Total different riding styles. I feel like I cant be as aggresive considering the bite it has coming out of corners. Its hard to explain. Im going to give it a few more goes to try and get used to the thing, but I shall without a doubt keep updated. The majority off all of you know more than me about Hondas considering Ive had nothing but yamis my whole life. Hence input is always appreciated.

Well. This is exactly what I was looking for. I already put the detent spring in based upon your suggestion back when I picked the bike up. Ive thought of fww, but I dont seem to think that is the issue.

But on to everything else, sounds like quite a few things I will look into. I leisurely ride track, but im more into scrambles and such. It truly is odd switching from my 2t to a 4. Total different riding styles. I feel like I cant be as aggresive considering the bite it has coming out of corners. Its hard to explain. Im going to give it a few more goes to try and get used to the thing, but I shall without a doubt keep updated. The majority off all of you know more than me about Hondas considering Ive had nothing but yamis my whole life. Hence input is always appreciated.

well if you saw/held the stock flywheel it would make a lot of sense to put on a heavier one.  when you open the throttle, it will still spin the tire and wheelie and it still revs like a bamf... but it just stays hooked up a lot better!!!!!!!! and doesn't do the stupid bark off closed throttle.  I promise no power reduction just better behavior and less stalling,,,, i run 14-47 on single track with it.....

this bike may be one of the worst in stock forum to make the switch on.

on the corner aggression. i think i feel you... as i struggled with this bike for a long time.  stock it has a funny dance between overseer and under steer... its usually got a bunch of under steer and when you try to correct it it over steers then usually under steers out of the corner like a dump truck

the 09 is weird it doesn't want to turn tighter with throttle it wants to run wider.  its not a neutral bike that will drift the font and rear equally at about the same time like my 95 cr250

it all comes from the massive front weight bias, a its front heavy and handles weird, b you cant get yourself ahead of the bikes center of mass because its crazy far forwards.

real stiff fork springs, (weight off the front and less dive of this nose heavy beast)

merge knuckle, (helps in the whoops and seems to ride a bit lower for the same sag)

revalve,

22mm offset clamps (handles better and moves the front wheel 2mm further forwards even more weight off the front)

slammed swing arm (more weight on the rear)

if your tall moved back peg brackets (more rear weight reed used 1/2" back brackets.)

a Scotts damper and throwing the oem damper in your neighbors yard fixes the head shake

the oem damper is just effing weird just feels weird and doesn't help anything.

with these mods you don't have to run the forks down flush in the clamps you can raise the tube in the clamp as much as you want and it rides even better!

all these alleviate the funky handling and un driftability of the 09 and make them feel good and predictable like my 95 did.

the better handling helps you deal with the barkiness and if you get rid the barkiness it helps the handling

but once you get it really really dialed every other bike just feels wack, heavy, slow handling, unresponsive in the engine department and HEAVY in comparison.

well if you saw/held the stock flywheel it would make a lot of sense to put on a heavier one. when you open the throttle, it will still spin the tire and wheelie and it still revs like a bamf... but it just stays hooked up a lot better!!!!!!!! and doesn't do the stupid bark off closed throttle. I promise no power reduction just better behavior and less stalling,,,, i run 14-47 on single track with it.....

this bike may be one of the worst in stock forum to make the switch on.

on the corner aggression. i think i feel you... as i struggled with this bike for a long time. stock it has a funny dance between overseer and under steer... its usually got a bunch of under steer and when you try to correct it it over steers then usually under steers out of the corner like a dump truck

the 09 is weird it doesn't want to turn tighter with throttle it wants to run wider. its not a neutral bike that will drift the font and rear equally at about the same time like my 95 cr250

it all comes from the massive front weight bias, a its front heavy and handles weird, b you cant get yourself ahead of the bikes center of mass because its crazy far forwards.

real stiff fork springs, (weight off the front and less dive of this nose heavy beast)

merge knuckle, (helps in the whoops and seems to ride a bit lower for the same sag)

revalve,

22mm offset clamps (handles better and moves the front wheel 2mm further forwards even more weight off the front)

slammed swing arm (more weight on the rear)

if your tall moved back peg brackets (more rear weight reed used 1/2" back brackets.)

a Scotts damper and throwing the oem damper in your neighbors yard fixes the head shake

the oem damper is just effing weird just feels weird and doesn't help anything.

with these mods you don't have to run the forks down flush in the clamps you can raise the tube in the clamp as much as you want and it rides even better!

all these alleviate the funky handling and un driftability of the 09 and make them feel good and predictable like my 95 did.

the better handling helps you deal with the barkiness and if you get rid the barkiness it helps the handling

but once you get it really really dialed every other bike just feels wack, heavy, slow handling, unresponsive in the engine department and HEAVY in comparison.

Well, I will look into the fww. And in the department of suspension, I had the whole suspension done by pr2. Valved and sprung for my weight. Im sitting at 6' 1 220 lbs. That was the other thing, I feel as if I sit super high and awkward. Ive been planning on moving the peg brackets.

Also, with the scotts dampener, are they really worth it? Ive ridden one bike with it and couldnt really tell the difference.

The steering though, i feel the bike oversteers beyond belief. Dont get me wrong, im sure it is mainly due to me not being used to the bike but at the same time, ive never felt this awkward on a bike. I can still ride it well, just not in proper form. Though, i will say airing this bike out is one of the smoothest ive dealt with. But its also the newest tech bike ive owned.

Who knows. Gonna ride today in the soppy mess I call ohio and play around a little more.

Well, I will look into the fww. And in the department of suspension, I had the whole suspension done by pr2. Valved and sprung for my weight. Im sitting at 6' 1 220 lbs. That was the other thing, I feel as if I sit super high and awkward. Ive been planning on moving the peg brackets.

Also, with the scotts dampener, are they really worth it? Ive ridden one bike with it and couldnt really tell the difference.

The steering though, i feel the bike oversteers beyond belief. Dont get me wrong, im sure it is mainly due to me not being used to the bike but at the same time, ive never felt this awkward on a bike. I can still ride it well, just not in proper form. Though, i will say airing this bike out is one of the smoothest ive dealt with. But its also the newest tech bike ive owned.

Who knows. Gonna ride today in the soppy mess I call ohio and play around a little more.

well you should ask what springs they put in.

it looks like they only make them up to .54.. at 175 i run .50

you need something like a .57 or .58

this is a problem.

maybe you can have them made.

i had some springs made for my little brothers yz250 it was like 150$

i feel like the dampner is totally worth it but,,,, i bought mine used, then the bracket frame bracket and mounted it to the clamps myself so i didn't buy the brp tipple clamps.

and at 6'1" you need to get your bars forwards, flip those bar mounts forwards if there not already, and you need down n back peg brackets i made my own you can see them in my garrage on here, and the top clamp ive got but you could get the bars forwards and the offset handled at the same time if you get an rg3 4 post clamp or a pro taper p3 clamp allow forward positions.   or on the cheaper side enduro engineering sells really nice forwards bar risers that replace the hole stock setup.

at 6'1" the cockpit is really cramping your style!!!

Edited by englertracing