Sign in to follow this  

2014 crf250r vs. 2014 yz250f?

yep the 250r. do I go with the Honda (less power, softer suspension but great handling) or the Yamaha ( great power and suspension but vague front end and possible 1st year problems). I am trying to find out how BIG those differences feel on the track. like I said, im going to keep the bike stock, at least for while. I would like to start racing again

looking to purchase a new bike and narrowed it down to these two for reliability reasons. I could use some feedback since I cant test them myself. I plan on keeping the bike stock for a while. I'm 5'11 and about 190lbs. and an intermediate rider. I don't want a 450 or a 2 stroke.  all the reviews I have read are somewhat mixed so I was hoping to find somebody with an UNBIASED opinion on each bike! Also, price and support are basically the same and I would like to eventually start racing again! thanks guys

Edited by mxracer312

250r or 250x?  just saying very diff bike... your name says mx rider so i would assume 250r?  HOnda and Yamaha are my two fav products so i can see why this is a hard choice... comes down to which one you get better support with in your area... that would be my pick

Edited by somethingnuw

250r or 250x?  just saying very diff bike... your name says mx rider so i would assume 250r?  HOnda and Yamaha are my two fav products so i can see why this is a hard choice... comes down to which one you get better support with in your area... that would be my pick

yep the 250r. do I go with the Honda (less power, softer suspension but great handling) or the Yamaha ( great power and suspension but vague front end and possible 1st year problems). I am trying to find out how BIG those differences feel on the track. like I said, im going to keep the bike stock, at least for while. I would like to start racing again

• Like 1

also $$$ and support are basically the same making the decision even harder

Yamaha wins hands down in my opinion, its the lightest 250f makes the second most power, has a great powerband, the best suspension, and reliability is generally the best on the blue bikes.

Throw an oversized rotor on the front, and take a class or two that focuses on cornering are the only mods i'd consider on the 2014 outside of a revalve resping since im over the weight limit,

also $$$ and support are basically the same making the decision even harder

lol... yup you gotta tough one there... go meet the guys working on the bike... phone them make a fake appt see how long you have to weight to get bike serviced for the stuff you can do yourself... sometime the bigger and fancier the store the less support you get... just my own observations

• Like 1

I love both of these offerings... right now i lean towards the Yamaha, I love the new design.... but that honda is sick too.... I'm no help. 

Personally I doubt you (or me) is skilled enough to tell the difference in handling once we've set up the bikes. I have the YZ and will say the front suspension is stiffer than I was hoping. But, I'm old and it takes me a long time to build confidence when changing bikes. Hopefully when I get up to my full speed (which is still relatively slow), it will be better.

I really consider myself a KTM person, but just felt the YZ was much better suited (engine and suspension) for my skill level. I know it's a new engine, but Yamaha has such a great rep for building reliable and durable bikes, I felt confident in the purchase. The Honda would have been may 2nd choice because I think their quality and reliability is comparable, but the YZ comes in white and I thought it was the best looking MX bike I'd ever seen. I realize that's not a good technical reason to choose a bike, but IMO to the average rider, we'll adapt to the subtle differences in the bike and go just as fast on either one. Sorry I can't help much since I don't have the Honda, all I can say as a 170lb intermediate, I chose the Yamaha, but not because I'm a Yamaha person, or against Honda's.

I am a dedicated Honda guy since '86 but right now I want a new YZF250. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I was facing that same decision and ended up with the YZ 250F. This bike is spot on for me and I like the reputation of Yamaha's motor.I think you cant go wrong with any of them,it's a matter of what fit's the best.