Are these the "best bang for the buck" offroad motorcycles?

I realize this is a loaded question, but I'm curious as to which used dirt/trail bikes you guys think are the best value? any brand, not necessarily just Hondas.

Also, which used dual purpose bikes are the best bang for the buck?

Edited by Rambler54

The XR line will offer the best "chug" for the buck....not really a "bang"! Hope you're having fun on your 200. Did you get your suspension sorted out?

I think the suspension is ok, it is all original and I don't believe there are many hours on the bike.  But I understand that the OEM shocks (the rear shock anyway) is supposed to be pretty weak

I am in the process of giving it a complete tune up.

Not really having fun on it yet, as I was waiting for my parts to arrive...new air filter, spark plug, etc.  But soon I'll be taking it on the trails.

Sounds good! I just ordered some parts for mine: chain kit, and a new air filter.....but I'll be riding my XR400 over the next few weeks. However, gonna get the little mountain goat all prepped and ready. Good time to ride in AZ! Spring is beautiful out there! My dad has a place in Havasu....I love going out there!

For a budget dual sport, it is really hard to beat the dr250/350. 

Kawsaki sold a ton of KDX200/220 thru the years and they have a big following, but they are 2T. The suspension is much better than the XRs and they weigh more, but they sure can go thru the woods.

Honda is selling a lot of CRF150/230s but IMO they are just a newer and heavier XR200, but estart is nice.

IMO the XRs defined the off road market in NA.  Honda thinks the CRF250X/450X is a replacement for the XRs but they are not for a lot of reasons. Suspension is much better and horsepower is a lot more but they lack the bottom end grunt and simplicity of the XRs.

Kawsaki sold a ton of KDX200/220 thru the years and they have a big following, but they are 2T. The suspension is much better than the XRs and they weigh more, but they sure can go thru the woods.

Honda is selling a lot of CRF150/230s but IMO they are just a newer and heavier XR200, but estart is nice.

IMO the XRs defined the off road market in NA.  Honda thinks the CRF250X/450X is a replacement for the XRs but they are not for a lot of reasons. Suspension is much better and horsepower is a lot more but they lack the bottom end grunt and simplicity of the XRs.

Those KDX machines were (are) very good enduro/woods bikes.  If you like a 2T you should definitely consider one.

I've ridden quite a few XR200s and I like the CRF230 chassis better but it is slightly tighter than the XR200.  It is, indeed, heavier but I think the ergonomics are better and it is more stable at higher speeds.  The engine, bone stock, is weaker than any XR200 I've ever ridden.  The engine, with baffles removed and properly jetted, is stronger than any XR200 I've ever ridden. Plus you get a front disk brake and slightly beefier forks but it MUST HAVE a new or revalved shock. The older long-travel versions of the XR200, in my opinion, are a better bike out of the box.  I think if you did a lot of single track riding the XR200 would be a better bike.  Both bikes are (potentially) very capable woods machines that run almost forever with very simple maintenance.

As far as the new CRF-X bikes not being a replacement for the old XRs you either get it or you don't.  If you've spent all your time riding a CRF-X you will probably be very happy.  You've learned to deal with the mile-long wheelbase, slow MX steering, zero off-idle torque, and 2T-like power delivery.  If, however, you've ever ridden a properly setup XR/CRF(2V) (e.g., Al Baker XR265 or XR280) you would not be so impressed.  I know, I know...  I'm old and crazy...  Bring it on...

Edited by VortecCPI

thanks for all the input and good comments from everyone.

Chuck, I like your comment about the simplicity.  The older I get, the more I like basic stuff that can't fail because it is not there in the first place.

Technology has it's place....but it is usually at a cost.

@Vortec.  I agree with your assessment about XRs and MX bikes.

@Rambler.  It is more than simplicity, it about the risk of being stranded miles in with the only way out being a long hike.  However all of my XRs, and other bikes of the same vintage and later, have been very reliable.