Sign in to follow this  

Is my pig spark knocking?

I had the xr out for a run to the coffee shop. The temperature outside was 2c(35f). Another freakin winter storm is comming in a few days and i had the itch to go for a rip. I noticed that if i am chugging along in 5th at about 45-50 mph and roll on the throttle hard, it sounds like it is spark knocking(detonating) for about a half second or so.

It is only doing it in 5th. I thought i heard the same thing the last time i had it out but thought i was hearing things. Around here it is said that in the winter time, the gas is inferior compared to the spring/summer months. However, this could just be a myth. I thought it might be some water in the gas but i always mix in a little methylhydrate during the cold season. I prefer to run 87 octane in the pig. I thought these things will run good on just about anything? Anybody ever run into this problem?

Thanks

i wouldnt think youd run into this problem at that temp. i normally have problems with the lugging roll on when the temp is in the 80s plus. maybe its bad gas or carbon buildup.

i wouldnt think youd run into this problem at that temp. i normally have problems with the lugging roll on when the temp is in the 80s plus. maybe its bad gas or carbon buildup.

Bad gas maybe...carbon build up...Nah. I wring this pigs neck and flog the shit out of it on a regular basis. There's no carbon build up in her internals. :thumbsup: