Sign in to follow this  

My XT350 is dead- any parts hoarders out there?

My XT was making an awful racket last fall right before winter. Long story short my cam journals are wrecked. My oil pump was dead and I ran it for a little bit. The head is no good. My spare motor had the same fate.

Anyone have a head kicking around that they'd like to sell?

I do have some parts to trade- have a nice set of carbs that are spare. Also have a real nice set of gauges.

Any help would be appreciated

I did see that one but those valves look kinda toasty- I figure I would try here first-thanks

I suppose there is another option : Find some 25mm ID bushings and have your current head journals bored to accept the bushings . Obviously , the bushings would need to be halved .

Or just take your head and cams to a decent machine shop and see what they might suggest as a cure .

At least you'll know exactly what you have and probably end up with a better head .

Edited by pd350

I have a guy helping me out with this-he seems to think it would be pretty pricey to have that done  vs finding a decent used one. Never know until you ask I guess.

Find a smaller machine shop and ask .  50 bucks might get the machining done . It's pretty simple process .

Like I said , then you know exactly what you have . And , unless you have the 'good used' head in your hands and have measured things , you're just hoping .

http://www.mrcycleparts.com

If you do want to go the route of getting a new head this site sends out a email to all the best junk yards across the country I did this to get a new bottom. End for my bike the next day I had 4 motorcycle junk yards call me with good working bottom ends for $250 each shipping included ... Couldn't hurt to try them

Just to update you guys- I searched CL last night but this time put a space between xt and 350. I found a bike 30 minutes away. Bottom end was shot but head was in great shape. Has 2 new Kenda tires, new sprockets, brakes, rotor,chain, master cylinder as well as all plastics and tank. Guy was asking $500 but he was motivated and let it go for $175.

Looks like I'm the parts hoarder now.

Thanks for the tips and help.

Just to update you guys- I searched CL last night but this time put a space between xt and 350. I found a bike 30 minutes away. Bottom end was shot but head was in great shape. Has 2 new Kenda tires, new sprockets, brakes, rotor,chain, master cylinder as well as all plastics and tank. Guy was asking $500 but he was motivated and let it go for $175.

Looks like I'm the parts hoarder now.

Thanks for the tips and help.

I hope you didn't hurt him too bad before he said yes to 175 ... LOL  ;)