Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning pistons

Putting a new ring on it, but by my mistake... I soaked half of it thinking it would clean just the top and would not do anything else but it left a ridge around the entire thing in the middle where the wrist pin goes and it doesn't seem to be coming off even though i just soaked it in Carb cleaner for 24 hours.

In simple green i forgot to add

soak it in simple green...........works great on heads too

my head is spotless

if left to long  simple green will discolor....but its harmless.....if you want it shiny again hit with some 600 or 800 wet dry

if left to long simple green will discolor....but its harmless.....if you want it shiny again hit with some 600 or 800 wet dry

Pistons are so cheap I would never consider touching one with sand paper. The peace of mind alone is worth the money.

• Like 1

the 100$ i paid for a forged weisco i dont consider cheap .....you could also use some scotchbrite on the discoloration if it bothers ya

• Like 1

if left to long simple green will discolor....but its harmless.....if you want it shiny again hit with some 600 or 800 wet dry

it left a ridge that catches your finger nail and it feels like there are two different textures

my head is spotless

Too much information.

As for cleaning piston crown carbon, use Easy Off oven cleaner.

• Like 1

the 100$ i paid for a forged weisco i dont consider cheap .....you could also use some scotchbrite on the discoloration if it bothers ya

If you don't consider $100 cheap, maybe you need to find a new hobby. Come back and tell me how cheap a piston is after a total rebuild because of an exploding piston.

To the OP...its already apart, and you took it apart for a reason. Put a new piston in and ride happy, not terrified of impending BOOM.

i remember paying 20$ for new pistons for my DT175.....if i had any doubt about the remaining life on a piston i would change it out....cheap insurance for an expensive engine 

• Like 1

Rings wear out before forged pistons do, nothing wrong with a low hour re-ring. Though I had good luck with wiseco's Ti coated ring that would increase service life to the point it was easier to just wait longer than a normal ring and replace piston as well.

It sounds like the simple green etched your piston, I have heard of it doing this to aluminum from prolonged soaking. I would replace it.

you could also use some scotchbrite on the discoloration if it bothers ya

30 second board goes sideways, head over the bars and steady throttle, wait for the gate to drop ...

"Damn, is my piston clean? Oh, there goes the field around the first turn." :goofy: 

Why doesn't anybody check their piston to bore measurement?