Sign in to follow this  

water pump issue

I have 2600 miles since I last put in a new water pump, and 1200 miles since the turkey baster mod. 

I have coolant gushing out of the weep hole after topping it off today. I've noticed my coolant running low since the turkey baster mod.

Is it possible there is too much pressure in the system with the turkey baster mod? Or am I already in need of a new water pump/rtv fix?

The weep hole is designed to leak if too much pressure/coolant yes?

The water pump weep hole is there so if the seal fails, coolant goes on the ground and not into the engine.

'Gushing' sounds like a major seal failure. You need to find out why. What coolant do you run? Is there debris in your cooling system? If the engine is running, radiator cap off, do bubbles appear in the filler neck (signs of a bad head gasket). Excessive pressure should vent out the overflow nipple on the radiator and into you catch tank, assuming it is assembled properly.

The water pump weep hole is there so if the seal fails, coolant goes on the ground and not into the engine.

'Gushing' sounds like a major seal failure. You need to find out why. What coolant do you run? Is there debris in your cooling system? If the engine is running, radiator cap off, do bubbles appear in the filler neck (signs of a bad head gasket). Excessive pressure should vent out the overflow nipple on the radiator and into you catch tank, assuming it is assembled properly.

Yes it is pouring out in a steady stream. Can a fairly new seal fail that quickly?

I use the blue ice stuff. Haven't flushed the coolant since the water pump install so don't really know if there is debree in there. I just did an oil change today and didn't notice any coolant in it. Just ran the bike with the cap off and there was no bubbling initially.

when you say major seal failure are you talking about the seal on the impellar shaft that is the subject of the rtv fix or one of the o'rings?

Edited by daveyedgar

Yes, the outer (impeller/RTV Fix side) seal. Had the inner seal failed, you'd get oil drips. Had both failed, you might get some coolant in the oil.

Your failure is very uncommon and you need to investigate why.

the weep hole is designed to give notice of seal failure and a path for that liquid to escape, whether oil or water. your pressure cap should give out before pump seal.

My guess, your just dealing with well known drz water pump seal issue

Did I put on the appropriate amount of rtv? Sorry for the blurryness I hope its clear enough to tell.

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

I put it back in, white side facing out...

No excess rtv sqeezed out, I hope it was enough...

seal3.jpg

I assembled to this point and will wait 24 hours before putting it back together...

seal4.jpg

Did I put on the appropriate amount of rtv? Sorry for the blurryness I hope its clear enough to tell.

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

I put it back in, white side facing out...

No excess rtv sqeezed out, I hope it was enough...

seal3.jpg

I assembled to this point and will wait 24 hours before putting it back together...

seal4.jpg

Looks fine, if your weap was due to the separation of the two seals... it should work great. 

Nonsense, Buy a new assy. $100

What is nonsense?

In that 9 times out of 10, the common water pump leak is fixed with $.02 worth of RTV?

Id agree if the seal or impeller shaft is bad, replace the assembly don't try to repair .. but if it is just the common seal separation... take 10 mion fix the thing and get many years of trouble free service.  (BTW, a new assembly is just as likely to develop the seal issue as a pump installed at the factory,,seeing as they are the same unit.)

What is nonsense?

In that 9 times out of 10, the common water pump leak is fixed with $.02 worth of RTV?

Id agree if the seal or impeller shaft is bad, replace the assembly don't try to repair .. but if it is just the common seal separation... take 10 mion fix the thing and get many years of trouble free service.  (BTW, a new assembly is just as likely to develop the seal issue as a pump installed at the factory,,seeing as they are the same unit.)

I really wasn't trying to discount the 'RTV fix' or anyone's specific post.  I recently rebuilt the water pump in my '02' for the second  time and the parts were half the cost of a whole new assy.  Next time I'm just buying the whole thing.   ;)

• Like 1

I really wasn't trying to discount the 'RTV fix' or anyone's specific post.  I recently rebuilt the water pump in my '02' for the second  time and the parts were half the cost of a whole new assy.  Next time I'm just buying the whole thing.   ;)

Ahh, got it.. Yes good call... if the seal , shaft seal surface or impeller is bad.. i highly recommend replacing the assembly with new 

• Like 1

^^ that's what happened to me, my water pump is not even 6 months old and it started leaking. The previous one I disassembled and the seal was shot so I just put in a new assembly. This new one shows little signs of wear but its leaking. I'm trying the rtv fix.

• Like 1

I prefer to use Ultra Gray RTV.  It is a bit tougher.  What did you use?  I also prefer to fully assemble the pump and drive gear so it has the seal spring pressure on the ceramic disc.

What did you find when you took it apart?  Was the ceramic disc tight in the impeller or did it just fall out? 

• Like 1

oh I used the permatex ultra black, I hope that will hold. When I took it apart the seal easily slipped off the shaft and as I wiped it the ceramic disk fell out of the seal quite easily. The shaft to the impellar was clean, no visible wear and tear on the parts - very loose fit compared to the previous water pump I disassembled.

I did put the e clamp on the shaft to hold pressure against the spring. Will putting the gear and c clamp on add additional pressure?

Ultra black is good.  Ultra gray is just a bit tougher I have found.  E clip will hold  the spring pressure. Sorry I missed seeing that in the picture.  Yes when the disc is loose in the impeller the RTV fix should work.  Odd however as new water pumps are suppose to immune from that.  I guess some things don't change.