Beginner MX Question - Michigan

Michigan

When I first got my bike about 5 years ago I went to Log Road MX. It was not a good experience - I had only ridden my bike a few times, it was packed, the beginner grouping was filled with guys hitting doubles/Triples (not really beginners in my mind). I would like to try again now that I have some more experience. Anyone know of a good MX track in Michigan for a beginner with open track times during the week? Any other suggestions for getting started? I looked into lessons but most seem to be targeted at young kids.

Thanks

A good beginner track IMO is Freelin MX, but that's a haul if you're coming from the Log Road track area. Portland trail riders is good, Baja has some big stuff but is surprisingly fairly beginner friendly. Bulldogs MX is more of a woods-oriented track. (There's literally 4 tables on the entire track, all are easily doable). I'm not aware of any that are near the Log Road area. Maybe Redbud?

I am actually in the Brighton area. Thanks for the ideas. Do you know if these places are open during week days?

I am actually in the Brighton area. Thanks for the ideas. Do you know if these places are open during week days?

That'll make your life worlds easier. Baja, Bulldogs, and Portland are all roughly an hour drive from Brighton (I'm in Pinckney by the way). Baja might be open on the weekdays, but I'm not entirely sure. Your best bet would be to check out their websites.

Consider Super Coop in Milan. Sand track and very safe.

Any reason you want to ride on a track? Michigan has a fantastic trail system.

When I first got my bike about 5 years ago I went to Log Road MX. It was not a good experience - I had only ridden my bike a few times, it was packed, the beginner grouping was filled with guys hitting doubles/Triples (not really beginners in my mind). I would like to try again now that I have some more experience. Anyone know of a good MX track in Michigan for a beginner with open track times during the week? Any other suggestions for getting started? I looked into lessons but most seem to be targeted at young kids.

Thanks

Theres a place called the sandbox up by Saginaw. Its a practice only facility and there is no race attitude. Its more rider friendly than most of the other mentioned tracks here. And theres room to grow if you desire

Thanks all - will try some of the areas discussed.

I have ridden many of the trails throughout MI and will continue to do this - but I have always wanted to try MX

I would say freelin and sandbox are your best options. Freelin is hardpack and sandbox is obviously sand. I wouldn't recommend supercoops for a first track. I like the place but, I'm a decent rider and feel like I suck most of the time after riding there.

Lol Dan, yea i wasnt a HUGE fan of coops myself. But I only went once and it was my first time back on a track too. However, I think they might have weekday practices. Baja always has, but right now on their schedule they are not showing wed practice on their schedule as they always have in the past. So, hard to say if they cut them out or just havent put em in yet. I always questioned how many riders went to it and how cost effective it was for them to be open then have to re-groom for sat/sun.

There is also that new Milan track, havent been to it yet myself.

Portland, you wont find open practice days there. They dont hold open practice unless its the saturday before the races sunday, which happens roughly 3 times a season. And Bulldogs is private but maybe has an open day at times..not sure on them.

So you may be left with coops and I dunno if that new Milan track plans to have weekday rides.

Lastly, I agree with you that guys ride in the C class for whatever uknown reason, out there doing jumps some B riders dont even do. Why the heck you'd WANT to stay in C I have no idea, always jam packed and people zig zag all over, etc, lol...sketchy at times (i get a lil squirrely myself from time to time, so im not sayin im great).

Lastly, I agree with you that guys ride in the C class for whatever uknown reason, out there doing jumps some B riders dont even do. Why the heck you'd WANT to stay in C I have no idea, always jam packed and people zig zag all over, etc, lol...sketchy at times (i get a lil squirrely myself from time to time, so im not sayin im great).

C Class is a freaking free-for-all sometimes. Brings for some good laughs though, as well as some butt-puckering moments. (Having the rear tire bouncing left to right through a whoops section is SKETCHY) 

Yea lol. Been there at Portland once (one I remember most), last practice session on sat before races, I had crashed hard 2 pract before that, but wanted to go out there. Was sand chopped to high hell and had front wheel high to get over one and the rear kicked funny and i swapped a bit before i was able to recover. I got off promptly after that. Was tired and sore, shouldnt of even gone out there.

Looks like Twisted MX in Milan shows first practice being April 12th btw. I didnt make it down there last fall.

Did it happen this past year? I may have seen you do that 

I agree, coops kinda sucks. It's not much fun and would probably turn a newbie off from mx.

And btw, anyone can twist the grip and jump, even if they can't ride worth a damn. That's why you get that mish mosh of skill levels in the C class. .... jump for show, corner for dough

Did it happen this past year? I may have seen you do that 

Ya, i mean the crash happened on the high tabletop sort of in the middle of the track...guy in front of me got real sideways, i was in the air and as he landed he swapped it out pretty good, he flew right and his bike went left and fell on the track, i basically ran right into it when i landed and then went over the bars and off the side of the track, lol. Just bruising on my thighs that lasted for a little while.

The swap I did was on the long right hand sweeper just before the longer tabletop (then u do the bowl turn into the lil step down things....then lunar launch).

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Is the "lunar launch" the flat landing jump that runs kinda parallel with the start straight?

Is the "lunar launch" the flat landing jump that runs kinda parallel with the start straight?

It's the one where horsepower hill used to be. You have the two doubles along the back of the track, left turn, huge table, right bowl turn, double/step down things, double, then the lunar launch.

It's a haul, but Martin MX is a blast to ride. No race, it's a practice track only. Last year it was $25 to ride for the day. No set classes. Park by the track, ride on and ride off all day. They're open Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. Look them up on the web or Facebook

Ya, I've only ridden there one in the last 10 years so I don't really remember lol...advrider- where it's Martin? I'd like to check it out