Honda has no shame!

So I went to the Honda shop to buy the tiny o-ring that I lost removing the fuel screw...at first he said 1.20$...then followed with " wait...that is the thickness...it is actually $4.00 !! Just stunning arrogance on their part..sickening customer abuse. Crissake there must be a place to buy these damn things for 10 cents!

it's a piece of rubber...almost as common as air.

Its just business, make a profit and cover overhead with the sale of little bits.

Look at it this way, you have the correct part, dimensions and material are correct for the application and you got it the first time around.

Beats running around town, try to get an o-ring made from the same material as OEM, and in the right dimensions.

Its just business, make a profit and cover overhead with the sale of little bits.

Look at it this way, you have the correct part, dimensions and material are correct for the application and you got it the first time around.

Beats running around town, try to get an o-ring made from the same material as OEM, and in the right dimensions.

your correct, it is business, and a poor application of those principles. Flogging the consumer does nothing positive for your business, regardless of convenience. There is no justification for predatory business practices...no matter in what light you frame it.

Well, it actually is a PART... with a PART NUMBER. It has a specification and documentation... it needs to be manufactured, procured, inventoried, shipped and stocked at a local dealer. It cost them more than $4.00 to sell it to you.

If you add all that up it probably cost $40 to get the right part into your hands... many jobs behind the scenes supporting the spare parts you need..

Be grateful they stock spare parts.. they could tell you to take a hike.

• Like 8

Well, it actually is a PART... with a PART NUMBER. It has a specification and documentation... it needs to be manufactured, procured, inventoried, shipped and stocked at a local dealer. It cost them more than $4.00 to sell it to you.

If you add all that up it probably cost $40 to get the right part into your hands... many jobs behind the scenes supporting the spare parts you need..

what absolute drivel...have you ever owned a business? Evidently not...because anyone that could try to justify that egregious flogging has to be without business sense. I don't feel the least bit grateful...I got the dimensions...went to NAPA and got a small bag of 10 for 1.29$...they inventory as well.

Sometimes those O-rings are nonstandard sizes.  It can be hard to tell.  On many of them you can get the dimensions and from that see if a standard sized one will work.

Like main bearings..I agree,,Expensive 0-rings but should you find it difficult to get precise measurements then you pay the price..

Least you know the part is the correct one for the role..Important to some that.

Edited by Horri

Like main bearings..I agree,,Expensive 0-rings but should you find it difficult to get precise measurements then you pay the price..

Least you know the part is the correct one for the role..Important to some that.

not talking main bearings...a simple oring that fits on the shaft of the fuel screw...Honda acted like they had no idea of the size....NAPA looked it up for me in their data base in 2 minutes....This is not the lunar lander, it is an inexpensive dirt rocket made for fun. Selling orings for 4$ on this type of machine makes Bernie Madoff look honest. These are worth a fraction of a cent when manufactured, if you add all other downstream costs your looking at perhaps 2 cents.There is no excuse for this cost basis, unless they bought them from NASA. But then...they priced themselves out of the space industry. If you used an oring that is even close in this application...your not going to lose your lunar orbit.

Well the last 1/4" ID fuel hose I bought from NAPA swelled up & slide off the barbed carb fitting! Before I purchased, I even asked the counter guy if the fuel hose is the good hose, that holds up to modern pump gas with ethanol. He said, "yes". I dont have faith in NAPA like I use to. But its good to hear you got what you wanted!

what absolute drivel...have you ever owned a business? Evidently not...because anyone that could try to justify that egregious flogging has to be without business sense. I don't feel the least bit grateful...I got the dimensions...went to NAPA and got a small bag of 10 for 1.29$...they inventory as well.

Drivel? LOL. Two questions for ya... what will you do with the other nine? In your fit of rage, it appears you just wasted valuable time and gas money running around to find a cheaper price. What's your time worth? 

Business sense?.. makes perfect business sense. It costs the Honda dealer more than $4 to procure and process a transaction for one o-ring. They make it up on the those larger o-rings they call tires.

Not to get off topic ... but,

I work for a large company in R&D... our flagship product has 12,000 discreet PN's.. 40% are commercial parts. In other words, parts that meet the spec and are commercially available and can be procured in packaged lot sizes.

If we want to sell one of those spare parts, the customer has to pay us to break the package size to supply one.. that increases the unit cost. Not to mention we apply a 50% burden to the purchase cost.

If you want to design and manufacture your own motorcycle from a commercial parts database.. have at it. Honda is in the business to make money.. not give away spare parts.

:ride:

nonsense...they buy these from the cheapest supplier available, inventory and procurement is minimal. I don't give a damn who you worked for..trying to justify this practice is nothing but mindless blather. You can buy these bikes for cheap...because they are! Trying to make it sound like some arcane alchemy is laughable. If we could buy these parts on auction basis they wouldn't bring a dime. The other 9? Are available for my riding partners....if needed. Trying to make this corporate overreach into a justified consumer abuse is nonsense. I am just alerting the forum to the fact that NAPA has them in quantity to prevent any member from further abuse. I fully understand that unless you buy their product....you might not make it back to earth:) Houston...do you copy?