Sign in to follow this  

A W.T F. moment. New to me 2012 CRF450R, chain issue

I picked up a new-to-me seemingly well maintained 2012 CRF450R. Lots of mods, very clean. Although the very first thing I noticed when I went to look at/buy the bike was the chain. I was saggy-droopy. The chain side plates were worn almost flat on the tops (from rubbing on the TM Designworks block) The rear sprocket was hooked and the rollers on the chain were ridiculously worn and wobbly loose. Easy fix from my standpoint.

So, I've been going through the bike head to toe, setting it up for me and of course I ordered a new chain, sprockets, guide block (oem) and the rub wrap that goes over the top and bottom of the front portion of the swing arm. Oh and new upper and lower rollers.

I removed a 48T rear and a 13T front. Removed the old 114L chain. Bought the same. Replacement rollers the exact same diameter.

I verified the tooth count and link counts on the old and new items. ALL THE SAME. Here's the problem.

The chain adjuster are full forward, lock nut and adjuster bolts screwed all the way in for most clearance for new chain install.

I couldn't even get the master link to get close enough to fasten. I removed the lower roller and bought just enough slack to get the master link fastened barely. But, the chain is tight, tight, tight. No way in hell I could/would run it like that. Can't even get the lower roller back in.

So W.T F. How can this be? It's all 1:1 replacement of like kind/size parts? OEM spec. How can it not fit?

Summary:

Chain: 114L

Front sprocket 13T

Rear sprocket 48T

Adjusters full in.

I guess I'll be ordering 116L chain. (hope it's not too long!) It's just driving me crazy why the existing setup won't work.

:banghead:

Edited by tahoemike00

Because the old chain was 1-2%  longer due to wear (no, they do not stretch)

Always order a 120 link chain, for custom fitting and spare links for the trail.

You can order a link and two plates and use a second master linksprockets%2Band%2Bother%2Bthings%2B008.j

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 1

Because the old chain was 1-2%  longer due to wear (no, they do not stretch)

Always order a 120 link chain, for custom fitting and spare links for the trail.

You can order a link and two plates and use a second master link

Yup, makes sense now. lol. But what concerns me is how did the previous owner run it? 13/48 with 114 links. I hate to think that he put it on as tight as it is now for me, and then rode it until it "broke in"

Although is it possible that rear sprockets can vary in diameter even with the same tooth count? He had Ironman 48t and I replaced with a Talon Radialite 48t.

The OEM replacement chain for a 2012 450R is a DID 520 DMA4-116/120RB. The 116 link chain will work well with the stock 13/48 setup.. or, the 120 link chain for the 13/49 setup.

I would think a 114 link chain would be way too short as you described. Need the 116 link chain minimal length, 120 would be the best bet.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2012/CRF450R/SWINGARM

The OEM replacement chain for a 2012 450R is a DID 520 DMA4-116/120RB. The 116 link chain will work well with the stock 13/48 setup.. or, the 120 link chain for the 13/49 setup.

I would think a 114 link chain would be way too short as you described. Need the 116 link chain minimal length, 120 would be the best bet.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/HONDA/2012/CRF450R/SWINGARM

My bad -- I *assumed* (and I thought I read somewhere) that oem/stock was 114L. Grrrrr. I've got a 116L on the way.  Still scratching my head though. The things previous owners do. :lame:

Previous owner wore the stock 116 chain to the point that the axle had no more adjustment, and then removed a link to get more use out of it. Bad idea if you value your, or your bikes well being.

My bad -- I *assumed* (and I thought I read somewhere) that oem/stock was 114L. Grrrrr. I've got a 116L on the way.  Still scratching my head though. The things previous owners do. :lame:

You will be fine with the 116L with stock 13/48 gearing.. if you go to 13/49 the 116 will be a tight fit. The 120L is better all around as you can always cut it to a perfect fit.

You will be fine with the 116L with stock 13/48 gearing.. if you go to 13/49 the 116 will be a tight fit. The 120L is better all around as you can always cut it to a perfect fit.

Alright, thanks Falcon 1 and everyone. And I hate to admit, I have the manual but I didn't RTFM! D'oh!

If I would have looked, I would have seen the 116L chain, instead I trusted that the previous owner knew what he was doing. :facepalm:

Edited by tahoemike00

Tahoemike look up a aftermarket chain on motosport with your 12 450r as your selected ride and when you click on a chain with 120 links it will show you oem sizes , well I did this last night after I read your post and indeed it said stock 13 48 114!fhen someone said 116 and posted a link to the oem parts section and sure enough it said 116 , that's some conflicting info on motorsports parts , our 06 is 114 and our 11 is 116 and like others do I buy the 120 , so long story short its was t your fault

Tahoemike look up a aftermarket chain on motosport with your 12 450r as your selected ride and when you click on a chain with 120 links it will show you oem sizes , well I did this last night after I read your post and indeed it said stock 13 48 114!fhen someone said 116 and posted a link to the oem parts section and sure enough it said 116 , that's some conflicting info on motorsports parts , our 06 is 114 and our 11 is 116 and like others do I buy the 120 , so long story short its was t your fault

You can't always believe what's on the store parts websites I find sometimes 50% of the info is inaccurate.   It's always best to check with a service manual if you have one or a good local parts guy if you have one.  

You can't always believe what's on the store parts websites I find sometimes 50% of the info is inaccurate.   It's always best to check with a service manual if you have one or a good local parts guy if you have one.  

Yup, for sure. And physically counting the links on the existing set up is not foolproof, as I learned.

I did read my service manual (after I bought the wrong chain of course) and indeed does say 116 L.

But now I've got a nice new chain for my '05 CRF450R.  :-)  (which I KNOW uses a 114 L with my current set up)