Sign in to follow this  

GPS Options

Hello Thumpertalk,

I'm contemplating buying a gps for riding unmapped trails and need advice on which gps I should buy. I seem to lack the internal compass that most of you have  :( , so when I inevitably get myself lost out in the trails i would like a gps that allows me to retrace or backtrack my route. What are some options that have this backtrack option? Do they set "breadcrumbs"  automatically? 

Thank you.

Hello Thumpertalk,

I'm contemplating buying a gps for riding unmapped trails and need advice on which gps I should buy. I seem to lack the internal compass that most of you have  :( , so when I inevitably get myself lost out in the trails i would like a gps that allows me to retrace or backtrack my route. What are some options that have this backtrack option? Do they set "breadcrumbs"  automatically? 

Thank you.

I think many meet your requirements. I'm partial to DeLorme, just 'cause it's what I have and it works well in those "where the hell is I" moments. Also helps you avoid those moments.

Mike

So far I'm liking my Garmin eTrex 20.  It has plenty of options (including backtrack).  It definitely comes with a learning curve, like any unit.  It's fairly compact, very rugged, and reasonably priced.  Also, there are topographic software packages available that you can load right onto the unit...

cd482250-782d-461f-aed5-2b556dfa006b_zps

2014-03-11160548_zpsccc51980.jpg

So the Etrex 20 can actually show me the route I traveled and show me exactly how to get back the same way even if the trail was not pre-programmed? It's not a gps that just points toward your destination with a compass and distance? 

So the Etrex 20 can actually show me the route I traveled and show me exactly how to get back the same way even if the trail was not pre-programmed? It's not a gps that just points toward your destination with a compass and distance? 

It will highlight the route you travelled, then guide you back regardless if you followed a mapped trail, or drove around in an open field....

Actually, I'm not sure how well you can see it, but in the 2nd picture I went cross country and you can see my route traced in teal colored lines...if I activate backtrack it will direct thee back from which thou cometh...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

Not sure if the Garmin 60cx is still being sold but it's a great choice and one of the most popular off-road GPS's. It has buttons which are better to use with gloves vs. a touch screen. It will track your route as you go and has a backtrack feature but you have to turn it on. It also has a page that tracks your distance travelled which comes in handy on long rides so you don't run out of gas. 

Thanks for the input. I will probably end up buying the Garmin Etrex 20.

Just be aware that the unit doesn't always come bundled with Topo software.....so make sure to research to be sure there is software available that is specific to your geographical location

There is a thread right here on TT in the WIKI section that discusses in great detail, the uses of gps. WIKI is awesome for many "how to's".

http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki

Joe

Go to the link and and put GPS in the search box. 

Thru the I've used Garmin because the Garmin Mapsource allows me to save, edit and manage tracks.  I can then load old tracks back onto my GPS for unmapped trails, or convert them to map overlays which makes them look like mapped trails or roads. Also there are free topo maps and trail maps for a lot of areas, in most of the Western states there are free user built map and trail sets for  Garmin units if your unit can work with Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp. 

In Garmin speak the suffix letters in the model code denote features; C means color display, etc

Here is a link that allows comparing features of selected units: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/cOnTheTrail-cHandheld-p0.html

The 60/76 series are the previous generation of the 62/78/Oregon units, and IMO the user interface is easier to use than the later units but with less memory.  I have an Oregon and while it is nice for hiking I prefer the 6x/7x units with their buttons for use on the bike. The 7x units are easier to power from the bike than the 6x units. etc.

Lots of GPS info on TT, enjoy.

What are the differences between the etrex 10 and 20? Do they have the same functions except for color display and expandable memory? (I only ask because I wouldn't mind saving $100)