Opinions, 1998 300exc.

Lookin at a very low hour '98 300 exc in excelent / near mint condition.

Thoughts on this bike?

98 was the first year for PDS, and it sucked.  There was at least two recalls on the shock.  The fork on the other hand is  in my opinion, just about the finest off road fork I have ever ridden..  Personally if it were me I'd look for something a bit newer.

98 was the first year for PDS, and it sucked. There was at least two recalls on the shock. The fork on the other hand is in my opinion, just about the finest off road fork I have ever ridden.. Personally if it were me I'd look for something a bit newer.

thanks for your input.

The bike is for a friend who is just getting into riding.

Everything on the bike is original oem parts except for the complete, profesionaly rebuilt engine (wrong gas). Even the tires are still about 80 percent. Any known issues with the model though?

How does one find out about the shock recall?

You're outa luck on the shock recall.  that was over 15 years ago..  I had a 98 380 EXC, and raced it for many years in the desert..   If you think you have found a real deal then go for it..  You could always have the shock rebuilt/revalved [i did] and go from there.

Good bike, all the little bs like bad shocks and things like that arent a big deal. Newer stuff bolts in. Actually if you are saavy enough, many newer ktm parts fit right up on that bike. The motor is great, like said forks are nice, i still have my 99 mxc that i bought new back then.

Many great memories on that bike.