Sign in to follow this  

2007 DR650 put away running great....now runs like crap

So I rode my 2007 DR650 about 5 weeks ago and it ran great. Then went to take it out the other day and it barely runs. It only idles if the choke is on. Dies immediately if the choke is switched off. Also dies if I roll on the throttle at all. I can sometimes get it to rev, but it pops really bad and gets really hot. I took the carburetor off and it wasn't dirty, but I took the jets out and sprayed cleaner through them anyway, and through the rest of the carb. Also put new spark plugs in and am using fresh gas.  It didn't fix it and it still runs like crap and not rideable.

What could have caused this? Am I not thinking of something else?

I know you said the carb is clean but it sure sound exactly like a partial or fully clogged pilot jet. The gas theses days is so bad it causes all kinds of problems.

I keep a spare pilot jet on hand and if cleaning use Sea Foam spray and chase the hole with a strand of soft copper wire.

Also had problems with the white fuel filter located in the feed pipe disintegrating the bits then clogging the jet.

Another possibility is a problem with the idle mixture screw "O" ring.

Bruce

Edited by BDM
  • Like 1

rode my 2007 DR650 about 5 weeks ago

What could have caused this?

singles like to be run often. let them sit & the risk of problems rises.

my recommendation: ride it daily for no less than 30min per ride & you'll be rewarded with fewer surprises

The idle / pilot circuit is clogged. Ethanol containing gas has more water in it than plain ole 100% petroleum-based gasoline. That is the culprit as it allows (or causes) a hard deposit in those tiny passages. Those passages are very difficult to clean. Many people say it's impossible to clean them fully and just replace the pilot jet when this happens. At the very least you're going to have to remove the pilot jet and soak it for an extended period. I llike plain ole Pine Sol for that. It's non-corrosive and removes both petroleum and water based deposits (like calcium). Also, remove the idle mixture screw and clean that passage with carb spray. If your carb is stock you'll have to drill out the EPA plug over that.

FWIW I ALWAYS  drain my float bowls or run them dry when storing any of my carbureted small engines for more than a few days. Running non-ethanol gas before storage if that's available where you live but by far the best approach is to drain the float bowl.

singles like to be run often. let them sit & the risk of problems rises.

my recommendation: ride it daily for no less than 30min per ride & you'll be rewarded with fewer surprises

what makes a single   different than any other bike ?

My personal experience with ethanol is while it does turn bad  and you can easily smell it when it's turned

it last a lot longer when it is kept cool  like a gas can/lawnmower  sitting outside in the path of sunlight will turn faster than say any of my PWC's that are also outside but the tanks are in the hull   that fuel can sit for a year and still fire up 

Edited by Zimman

what makes a single   different than any other bike ?

My personal experience with ethanol is while it does turn bad  and you can easily smell it when it's turned

it last a lot longer when it is kept cool  like a gas can/lawnmower  sitting outside in the path of sunlight will turn faster than say any of my PWC's that are also outside but the tanks are in the hull   that fuel can sit for a year and still fire up 

If your PWCs are older 2-strokes (like mine) they probably have pumper carbs without float bowls. Those are more tolerant of the ethanol/water in the fuel. I think that's what causes the problems, the water suspended in the gasoline/ethanol blend becomes liquid water in the float bowl when the temperature drops (Chemistry 101). I've never even seen the induction on a 4-stroke PWC but I suspect those use electronic fuel injection which doesn't have float bowls either.

Edited by TN2Wheeler

Thank you all for the responses . I love this forum cuz of you guys. My next step is to take the carb back of and let it soak in my buddy's sonic parts cleaner for a couple of hours, removing the jets and letting them soak too. Hopefully this fixes it. Any other things I should do in the meantime? I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE.....So I took the carb back off and put it friends ultra sonic parts cleaner and that did the trick. I guess no matter how clean you think you got something, it can always still not be clean enough. Thanks for the advice.