Hey everyone, so far I've done a few mods to my bike, the full Yoshimura exhaust system, zeta hand guards with integrated directionals, and the tail light with integrated directionals.

Once summer comes around and we see some 60F nights and I can ride comfortably, I will be doing a lot of night trail riding up north. I want to upgrade the front bulb to an HID 55W bulb, probably low and hi beams. I was also thinking about getting two of these  (Rigid Industries D2 driving lights) and mounting them on my forks, they would look sick as hell. Here is a video demonstrating what I'm talking about. My question is, would our little batteries be able to support the lights? I'm not much of an electrician so I'm not sure.

Has anyone here swapped out their headlight for an HID light?

• Like 1

It is not a matter of the battery, it is the stator output. CRF250L stator can handle any of the LED lights like that. Then you wouldn't need HID headlight - which does not work so well anyway, because the reflector is not suitable for it. 

• Like 1

It is not a matter of the battery, it is the stator output. CRF250L stator can handle any of the LED lights like that. Then you wouldn't need HID headlight - which does not work so well anyway, because the reflector is not suitable for it. 

It's more that I just like HIDs as opposed to the tungsten bulbs. Actually, it's not even HIDs, it's the tints you can get with HIDs. I want a pure site bulb on my bike, I don't think that's possible with a tungsten bulb.

But you are right, I wouldn't need them if I got those LED lights. About the stator and battery if the CRF250L though, you're saying it can handle these (keep in mind I'd have 2) LED lights no problem, but what about having them on with the bike off. I'm imagining my bike would die horribly fast, but I may be wrong, I don't know much about electricity and how it works (I wish I did).

• Like 1

It's more that I just like HIDs as opposed to the tungsten bulbs. Actually, it's not even HIDs, it's the tints you can get with HIDs. I want a pure site bulb on my bike, I don't think that's possible with a tungsten bulb.

But you are right, I wouldn't need them if I got those LED lights. About the stator and battery if the CRF250L though, you're saying it can handle these (keep in mind I'd have 2) LED lights no problem, but what about having them on with the bike off. I'm imagining my bike would die horribly fast, but I may be wrong, I don't know much about electricity and how it works (I wish I did).

LED have a very low wattage draw when compared to other lights.  A 5000K headlight bulb with some LED's will make a huge difference.  I like a helmet mounted LED light for trails too.

Why would you leave them on with the bike off?  I wouldnt do that for more than about 5 minutes if it were me.  I think the specs on those LEDs were about 2.5A each, so 5A draw with 2 of them, not huge but the battery is also designed only to start the bike, not run things while its off.

A 55w HID would be pretty damn bright, most I see are only in the 30w range.  I think a lot of people on the road would HATE you.  Especially since the headlight in this bike would scatter it all over and not focus it properly.

Just get an aftermarket halogen/xenon bulb to replace the stock one.  I use the Sylvania Silver Stars but there are many others.  If you look in the ThumperTalk store they have a PIAA bulb thats also supposed to be more impact/vibration resistant than standard bulbs, so it should be great for bikes.

Edit: for the TT store just click the link in Metal's sig right above me ^ ^ ^ ^

Edited by Tro1086
  • Like 2

Why would you leave them on with the bike off?  I wouldnt do that for more than about 5 minutes if it were me.  I think the specs on those LEDs were about 2.5A each, so 5A draw with 2 of them, not huge but the battery is also designed only to start the bike, not run things while its off.

A 55w HID would be pretty damn bright, most I see are only in the 30w range.  I think a lot of people on the road would HATE you.  Especially since the headlight in this bike would scatter it all over and not focus it properly.

Just get an aftermarket halogen/xenon bulb to replace the stock one.  I use the Sylvania Silver Stars but there are many others.  If you look in the ThumperTalk store they have a PIAA bulb thats also supposed to be more impact/vibration resistant than standard bulbs, so it should be great for bikes.

Edit: for the TT store just click the link in Metal's sig right above me ^ ^ ^ ^

Oh I definitely like that star white halogen bulb you posted. No ballasts required and it will not give off that yellow tint like tungstens do. And I don't know, you know when you turn on the bike but don't start it, maybe to show off the lights, check something out quietly at night, you know simple stuff like that. But I obviously wouldn't have it on for long periods of time, was just wondering. Definitely going to purchase that bulb you mentioned though, but I think I'm going to save up for those LEDs first. Thanks for your help!

Has anyone here thought about putting a strip of LEDs on their bikes, maybe a dark red color to add some flair? Was thinking about doing this maybe right above the engine or something to make the bike pop.

Yea you should be fine to turn the LEDs on for a few minutes at a time.  If you wire them so they can be switched on without the key on it would be even better for that.  Just make sure they dont get left on or accidently turned on while the bike is parked haha.

I wonder if you could put some red LEDs up under the gas tank so they are not visible but light the motor up.

I have a 20" Baja Designs LED light bar on the front of my truck, it puts out some crazy light, and very crisp white color.  Sometimes its almost to bright when its reflecting off signs and stuff, you end up blinding yourself hahaha!  Gota love america, anyone with high quality offroad lights gets punished by being blinded by our super reflective signs, that are made to work with shitty DOT approved headlights.  We need to go to EURO standard headlights, they put out such better light and better patterns, but they also use a lot of lighted signs instead of reflective signs, so you dont blind yourself with your own lights.

When shopping for LED lights you should check out VisionX and Baja Designs also, they make top quality stuff along with Rigid.

One thing with high performance/offroad LED lights, most of them require a minimum voltage to run.  When you run things from your battery without the engine running, the more load you put on the battery (amp draw) the more the voltage will drop.  I would think this battery could run the 2 LED lights fine, but I cant say for sure.  Just something to be aware of.  I remember when researching LED light bars for my truck one of them actually said if you run X number of these LED lights they will not work without the motor running because the voltage drop from the battery would be to great.

Yea you should be fine to turn the LEDs on for a few minutes at a time.  If you wire them so they can be switched on without the key on it would be even better for that.  Just make sure they dont get left on or accidently turned on while the bike is parked haha.

In the video I linked above, they had that other switch you can mount on top of your controls which I really liked and wouldn't go without.

I wonder if you could put some red LEDs up under the gas tank so they are not visible but light the motor up.

That's what I was thinking. Just some sleek dull red lights to make the red really pop on our bikes (especially those of us with black seats and other blacked out parts that used to be red). I think it'd be sick. 

I have a 20" Baja Designs LED light bar on the front of my truck, it puts out some crazy light, and very crisp white color.  Sometimes its almost to bright when its reflecting off signs and stuff, you end up blinding yourself hahaha!  Gota love america, anyone with high quality offroad lights gets punished by being blinded by our super reflective signs, that are made to work with shitty DOT approved headlights.  We need to go to EURO standard headlights, they put out such better light and better patterns, but they also use a lot of lighted signs instead of reflective signs, so you dont blind yourself with your own lights.

When shopping for LED lights you should check out VisionX and Baja Designs also, they make top quality stuff along with Rigid.

One thing with high performance/offroad LED lights, most of them require a minimum voltage to run.  When you run things from your battery without the engine running, the more load you put on the battery (amp draw) the more the voltage will drop.  I would think this battery could run the 2 LED lights fine, but I cant say for sure.  Just something to be aware of.  I remember when researching LED light bars for my truck one of them actually said if you run X number of these LED lights they will not work without the motor running because the voltage drop from the battery would be to great.

I'll definitely check out those manufacturers you mentioned. Thanks a lot man, once it warms up here I'm going to go inspect my bike for possible LED strip areas to light up the engine. Maybe even put some under the bike to light up the ground when parked or something.

Edited by RobertLindert

I ordered a projector kit from theretofitsource which is the industry leader when it comes to HID's.  I will provide a link at the bottom to the kit that is shipping to me.  The 55w HID kit will likely be too much heat in such a small headlight and could end up melting the headlight assembly.  In my opinion if you are going to do it right then just go with a retrofit and fit a projector in there matched with a 35w bulb and I promise you that you will be brighter than most cars on the road!  Whenever my parts get in (hopefully this wednesday) I will try and do a write up on the light output from them. 

Link:  http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/motorcycle-stage-3-kit-single-headlight.html#.UzDoKdyCXEw

• Like 2

I ordered a projector kit from theretofitsource which is the industry leader when it comes to HID's.  I will provide a link at the bottom to the kit that is shipping to me.  The 55w HID kit will likely be too much heat in such a small headlight and could end up melting the headlight assembly.  In my opinion if you are going to do it right then just go with a retrofit and fit a projector in there matched with a 35w bulb and I promise you that you will be brighter than most cars on the road!  Whenever my parts get in (hopefully this wednesday) I will try and do a write up on the light output from them. 

Link:  http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/motorcycle-stage-3-kit-single-headlight.html#.UzDoKdyCXEw

Hey man that sounds awesome!  Im all for HIDs when done properly with a projector like your doing.  Cant wait to see how yours turns out.  If it comes out nice with the projector I may just have to think about doing mine!  Keep us posted!

Also, welcome to the forums, I take it you have a 250L?

• Like 2

Hey man that sounds awesome!  Im all for HIDs when done properly with a projector like your doing.  Cant wait to see how yours turns out.  If it comes out nice with the projector I may just have to think about doing mine!  Keep us posted!

Yes it does ...  ?  I am interested in where this leads as well .... and I'll 2nd the welcome ...  :cheers:

Ive considered installing LEDs to cast a glow on the engine... ive been real lazy though.

Yes I just picked up my 2014 crf250l last week and I'm hooked!!!  My wife stays angry with me because I keep buying things for it but hey she will get over it! hahaha.  But yes I will try and do a write up with light output shots and trust me when you see the quality of light you will be drooling!!!  It's a night and day diffrenece no pun intended ?

Yes it does ...  ?  I am interested in where this leads as well .... and I'll 2nd the welcome ...  :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome guys its much appriciated!

• Like 1

Has anyone else thought of adding an LED strip or two on the bike around the engine or something? My bike is under a tarp right now since we just got like 2 inches of snow, it's also cold out so I'm not going to look for a spot just yet. Where do you think an LED strip would work best? Also red or white? I was thinking a deep red, but not too bright.